Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

It will cycle eventually. Any sized tank with a filter will.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two
It will cycle eventually. Any sized tank with a filter will.
Yeah but with only one fish it can take a ridiculous amount of time (months) which is why the frequent 100% water changes are necessary.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynicole

Yeah but with only one fish it can take a ridiculous amount of time (months) which is why the frequent 100% water changes are necessary.
I understand the 100% PWC are needed to keep the water clean. But with such a small amount if water the ammonia is going build up between water changes causing a bacteria colony to form even with the frequent PWC. It sounds no different to any other fish in cycle IMO.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

since i got him at the first of the month ive been doing research on different sites and wasnt aware that i needed to have an already cycled tank ready for him to come home to. ive been doing complete water changes because it is just a one gal tank and i do have an internal filter with a carbon activated cartridge. Im using topfin water conditioner and aquarium salt and he seems to be doing fine. his behavior is normal hes not rubbing his head against anything like the stones in the bottom. His appetite is normal. i plan on buying a 5 gal tank and setting it up at the beginning of Jan and cycling it and getting it ready for him. with my income ill have to get things little by little but thats just the way it is these days. I appreciate evryones input and advice... Amy
Old 12-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

another question... should i take the internal carbon filter out or would that harm my betta worse?
Old 12-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would leave the filter.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancersmama79
since i got him at the first of the month ive been doing research on different sites and wasnt aware that i needed to have an already cycled tank ready for him to come home to. ive been doing complete water changes because it is just a one gal tank and i do have an internal filter with a carbon activated cartridge. Im using topfin water conditioner and aquarium salt and he seems to be doing fine. his behavior is normal hes not rubbing his head against anything like the stones in the bottom. His appetite is normal. i plan on buying a 5 gal tank and setting it up at the beginning of Jan and cycling it and getting it ready for him. with my income ill have to get things little by little but thats just the way it is these days. I appreciate evryones input and advice... Amy
There are two way to cycle a tank. Fishless (a lot of members prefer) or fish in (this is what I do and what you are doing now). There is nothing wrong with doing a fish in cycle it just requires a little bit more dedication in the beginning (first 1-3 months) to stop your fish from being exposed to high levels of ammonia and nitrite. Both being very detrimental to your fishes health. This is why a liquid test kit is very important. It will enable you to keep track of how the cycle is progressing and how often to do water changes. If ammonia or nitrite are over 0.25ppm a water change is necessary.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

i plan on buying the API test kit for freshwater aquariums. From what ive read with a one gal tank it is best to do complete water changes twice a week so every 3-4 days thats what ive been doing. i did a complete water change yesterday when i noticed the spot on his head and ive done a 50% water change today. He seems to be doing fine... hes even built a bubble nest both days and hes reacting to me and my daughter and eating well and very active as well as resting.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What do you feed him?
Old 12-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

i feed him aqueon betta food pellets and topfin freezedried bloodworms and occasionally a portion of frozen pea thats been microwaved and cooled to room temp. i also feed him twice a day a bit of both

Tags
betta, bettas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hello | Hey all!! »