Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Once a day or every other day would be just fine for feeding him. Most of the time bettas and freeze dried foods don't mix very well, too.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Try soaking some food in a tiny bit of garlic to help with fighting the sickness and keep it away.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:06 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

pure garlic or would garlic powder or garlic salt work?
Old 12-22-2011, 11:07 PM   #34

Also don't be worried about changes so much once a week would be good. The fish just might be a little stressed. The betta can breath air like humans if water gets to bad or they just feel like it.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:09 PM   #35

Pure garlic. Like liquid. Any lfs should have it. It's natural, that's why I like it and it works.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:11 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samirose
Also don't be worried about changes so much once a week would be good. The fish just might be a little stressed. The betta can breath air like humans if water gets to bad or they just feel like it.
It's not when the water gets bad or they feel like it. The way their gills are formed, they can't get enough oxygen, so they breathe from the surface as well to make up for it.
To the op, keep doing your water changes like you were after he gets better, and once a day while he's getting better. Once you have a cycled five gallon you can switch to once a week.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:19 PM   #37

Ok I have a Betta and perfect water but it still likes to breath like that. Over doing water changes makes water quality bad and stresses fish. Every time a fish sees a net or is caught they stress. All honesty I have a 4 gallon baby biorb and since the summer I got it I have done one water change and it was recent. Also when the betta was in the other tank (got fish from boyfriend who I help with saltwater now) still breathed that way and we changed water the way everyone said.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:25 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

when i do water changes i use the cup i brought him home in to get him in and keep some of his old water as i was instructed to do to keep the good bacteria going.... it gives me an opportunity to view him better and examine him better when i do the water changes and clean evrything in the kitchen. ive had him for nearly a month and so far so good. the white spot on his head seems to be going away and it seems to be something just on his skin not a disease or anything harmful at least for now...
Old 12-22-2011, 11:26 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samirose
Ok I have a Betta and perfect water but it still likes to breath like that. Over doing water changes makes water quality bad and stresses fish. Every time a fish sees a net or is caught they stress. All honesty I have a 4 gallon baby biorb and since the summer I got it I have done one water change and it was recent. Also when the betta was in the other tank (got fish from boyfriend who I help with saltwater now) still breathed that way and we changed water the way everyone said.
That's because that's the way bettas breathe... A different water change schedule isn't going to change that. But the op is cycling with the fish in it too, and so needs to do daily water changes, maybe every 2-3 days.
To the op: to be safe since you don't have a test kit, I would actually change water everyday. Not a full water change. Just fifty percent.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:37 PM   #40

Saltwater does not even need changes that much and they have a harder blance to keep. Bettas have gills and don't need to like that...... Choice. This hobby is opinion. The choice is ours about water changes.

Tags
betta, bettas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hello | Hey all!! »