Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2011, 11:39 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

There is a bit of misinformation in this thread. Bettas are like every other fish. They need clean water. Weekly water changes are a necessity to remove total dissolved solids and nitrate. The new water dilutes the nitrate and TDS and introduces vital minerals/buffers needed for stable water conditions, fish and plant health. The OPs tank is cycling she NEEDS to do daily water changes to dilute the ammonia and nitrite being built up in the small tank. Without this the Betta will be getting ammonia/nutrite burns to his gills.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:41 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samirose
Saltwater does not even need changes that much and they have a harder blance to keep. Bettas have gills and don't need to like that...... Choice. This hobby is opinion. The choice is ours about water changes.
Salt water is a different beast all together. Water changes aren't the hobbyists choice to make. They are governed on the nitrate readings of the tank. Anything over 20ppm can start becoming detrimental to the fishes health.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:42 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

They survive in worse water conditions than a tank. I think weekly can be over excessive, like I said it's opinion.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
They survive in worse water conditions than a tank. I think weekly can be over excessive, like I said it's opinion.
They may survive but is it really a good life? Why should they be treated any different to any other fish?
Old 12-22-2011, 11:46 PM   #45

I'm not saying they shouldn't I'm saying water changes on any tank are your choice. Saltwater we do it maybe every two weeks if bad. But don't touch other wise say with fresh. However still choice.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:46 PM   #46

Not say but same. Sorry for auto correction
Old 12-22-2011, 11:50 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
I'm not saying they shouldn't I'm saying water changes on any tank are your choice. Saltwater we do it maybe every two weeks if bad. But don't touch other wise say with fresh. However still choice.
I still have to disagree that it's not the aquarists choice as to whether or not to do one. Its a necessity for the health of the tank and fish. So if I feel like it I don't have to change the water on my tanks for 6 months?
Old 12-22-2011, 11:53 PM   #48

Just not too much it's opinion too much kills as too less. My water was good and I need up moving, adding water so much that I didn't need one. My betta has never been sick.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #49

6 months no 3/2 sure. But that's complete and barley part.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:58 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Each to there own but I think you'll find the vast majority of hobbyists (especially on this site) would agree weekly, 10days at the most, is needed. You can't do too many water changes IMO.

Tags
betta, bettas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hello | Hey all!! »