Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-23-2011, 01:17 AM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancersmama79 View Post
i feed him aqueon betta food pellets and topfin freezedried bloodworms and occasionally a portion of frozen pea thats been microwaved and cooled to room temp. i also feed him twice a day a bit of both
Just a suggestion about the food, betta's are primarily carnivorous so if you want to feed a little bit of a pea only do it once a week.

Also freeze dried foods should only be fed as a treat, 1-2 times a week, and for bettas it is reccomended that they are soaked for a little while before you feed them because they can cause bloating. It would be better to get some frozen blood worms and if you want you can feed them every other day and feed the dry pellets on opposite days. Mine get bloodworms about twice a week. And I only feed mine once a day, and each betta only gets two pellets per feeding. Unless you are conditioning to breed them, feeding once a day is plenty, and you can even skip feeding 1-2 days a week.

And yes you are doing a good job with the water changes. whoever suggested not to do water changes was giving bad advice. Yes keep the filter in so that bacteria can colonize in it, bacteria live in the filters, substrate and on the walls, not really a lot of bacteria floating in the water. even 100% water changes in a 1 gallon tank are not going to stress your betta out. The last time I had a betta in a small tank like that I did 100% water changes 3x a week. One fish is going to have a relatively low biolaod, so the ammonia won't cause any toxicity issues for about 2 days if you have at least 1 gallon of water.

Yes betta's have a labyrinth organ and breathe air from the surface. This does not mean they don't get harmed from ammonia building up in the water just like any other fish.

Good luck with your betta, they are one of my most favorite fish.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:43 AM   #62
Aquarium Advice Freak

thank you... im open to all the advice and information i can get as i am just starting out... i tried to keep bettas a few years ago but they both died and when i talked to the people at petsmart they said it might have been because they were only eating pellets and i was changing all their water and not just part of it but back then i just had each of them at separate times and in a bowl with no filter and didnt know much about them.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:33 AM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samirose
Over doing water changes makes water quality bad...
This is 100% false.

Also, a water change may cause momentary stress but its only for a short bit and a fish can get used to water changes, where just letting a tank sit will cause levels to rise creating continual stress that causes diseases, especially in a cycled tank.

There is no possible way on this earth that a water change will make water quality worse unless youre dumping in used toilet water

But i do agree its your choice, if i want to buy a puppy and starve it (illegal) , its my choice. Its my puppy. You always have a choice
Old 12-23-2011, 03:39 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

And yes bettas are anabantoid so they dont need any oxygen supplementation. Thats what gives them the ability to live in those tiny cups. but they do need filters (as you have) to maintain safe water levels.
Youve done research and arent just listening to the dumb things the petco/smart people will tell you, so i think your betta will be just fine
Old 12-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #65
Aquarium Advice Freak

im not one of these people that only listen to the first person they talk to. i research it out on several sites and ask questions as i have here. from what ive heard im doing the right thing by doing frequent water changes and watching his behavior and his appearance for any signs of changes as any good "mom" would lol Ive also noticed a few discolorations come up on his cheeks one dark on one cheek and one a whitish color on the other. the one on the top of his head still is patchy but not getting worse. hes still acting his same old self and still reacting to me when i get his attention. ive not noticed any changes in his fins or his body or eyes or breathing or anything like that just the spots and they seem to be located around his head.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:46 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice Freak

i also wanted to ask when i do water changes since hes in a 1 gallon tank for now with a carbon filter should i rinse evrything in his tank as well as the tank itself or let the bacteria build up on those things? Ive heard that good bacteria attaches to those things as well.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #67
Aquarium Advice Freak

I personally don't rinse plastic plants and decor unless it gets really ugly with gunk. I don't know if you've ever walked around bare foot in a river, but there is a layer of slime on everything! I think it's good for fish to have some of that in their tank. Just my opinion of course
Old 12-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #68
Aquarium Advice Freak

thats what i was thinking cause i know fish need a slime coating and i was thinking its probly beneficial to them for the things in their tank to have that too.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

Only rinse your filter when it totally blocks water flow.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

I personally rinse my filter pads before they block water flow bc alot of gunk can build up on it. As long as you rinse it in tank water itll be fine.
You should make sure you keep your filter media wet with tank water while doing water changes. If it dries out thats bad news for the cycle

Tags
betta, bettas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hello | Hey all!! »