Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-01-2015, 02:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Fairly new - will be looking for lots of advice!

Hi, finally decided to register somewhere. I live in Ontario, Canada, married 26 years and mother of 3, and run a "zoo" of sorts. Our current list of pets living here include 3 horses 2 quarter horses/1 tennesee walker), 2 dogs (rough collie and alaskan malamute (recently rescued)), 7 cats (5 recently rescued), 18 hamsters/3 mice/3 gerbils (daughter loves rodents), and the 10 fish in the 32 gallon community freshwater (6 harlequin rasboras, 2 SAEs, 1 betta, and 1 recently adopted 8" pleco.

Just received a 56 gallon, "Marineland" aquarium as a birthday present and just can't decide what direction to go with it so will be asking lots of questions! Been scouring the internet for stocking ideas and so on and a lot of the time my search for answers led me to this site.

Looking forward to meeting all of you and learning lots! Thanks!

CathMcD

Old 01-02-2015, 06:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome Cath.
A blank canvas is great but it is hard to decide where to go with it.
I test the source water (normally tap) to check the natural parameters - Ph, Kh, Gh, Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. This can give a guide as to the type of fish - Gh probably being the deciding factor.
Then decide on small shoaling fish or larger show fish.
Small fish appreciate good a planting which can look fab. Larger fish can be destructive.
Look at the pictures of tanks on the net and see if you are inspired. It's hard to change course mid build, just causes extra work so taking your time to plan is well worth it.
Good luck with your tank. I settled for heavily planted, small tetras and Red Cherry Shrimp and am pleased with the outcome.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420194378.576816.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	259744

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 01-02-2015, 07:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome Cath

Smashing tank Scott.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Your tank looks amazing! I'm toying with trying out a planted tank. Here's a pic of my 32 gallon freshwater community with it's loving admirers keeping a close eye...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141215_181919.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	259800  
Old 01-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathMcD View Post
Your tank looks amazing! I'm toying with trying out a planted tank. Here's a pic of my 32 gallon freshwater community with it's loving admirers keeping a close eye...

That tank would look lovely planted Cath. Get some low light plants and some driftwood in there for the natural look. Your fish will appreciate it

Tags
advice, air

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com