Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Father and Son Noobs

Hello All,

My name is Dino and me and my son Foxx are attempting our first tank. Freshwater tropical. I have tried before by myself and have failed terribly. Since those times we have managed to keep a turtle alive and happy and the dog is still with us. LOL

Right now we have a 30 gallon tank about 2 or 3 inches of gravel, running an Aqueon 50 filter and a standard light. I have a question on fish but suspect it would go somewhere else. So have a good day everyone.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glad to have you here! If you haven't already read up on how to cycle your new tank, there's lots of good reading to be had here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...es-154837.html

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #3

Thanks for the link. We went with what the LFS said to do and let it run for a week and we added prime (?) to it as advised and brought the water in for a test and they said we were good to. I have a good store 5 minutes from my place so I will have some help along the way.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

As most of us have experienced when first starting out, you have received HORRIBLE advice from your lfs about what cycling entails. If you go by their method, your fish will die. Please do read the links about how to cycle (which takes 4-6 weeks) prior to adding fish.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
Old 10-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #5

WOOPS.
I already added fish after a week, when the water checked out. A red tail shark and 4 cory catfish (2 panda & 2 Jolie)
Old 10-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi, and welcome to AA! We are glad to have you as new memebers of the forum. As a relative newbie myself, I am here to tell you that advice you receive from lfs's is nearly always flawed. Please, please take the time to read those articles that Linda gave you the link to. I personally, have lost fish due to advice given by lfs. They are there to sell fish, after all, and so their advice is flawed to begin with. Cycling is so VERY IMPORTANT to the lives of your pets. It will save lives!

If you do this one little thing, you will have a joyful and wonderful time with your new pets and your new hobby, and you are now a member of a wonderful, and very helpful forum, where you can obtain all kinds of help and advice.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Remember the best advice anyone can give you is take what the LFS says come home and research. When I am at them and they say "well you can" that means ok research time. I have salt and fresh probably saved myself $1000's on research instead of going on what the LFS told me. Unless you started with used filter medium your tank isn't cycled at one week.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Then, as soon as possible, you need to go and get an API Master liquid test kit, and read the link for cycling with fish in ( on that link that Linda gave you). Do it for your new fish....soon
Old 10-05-2011, 01:08 PM   #9

Thanks all I appreciate the help and advice. I will do some extra reading to night.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sadly, you'll have to return the shark. He'll need a 55-75 gallon tank.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com