Feather dusters everywhere??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sdavis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I am new to this site and glad to learn there is a place too get advise. I have a 150gallon saltwater reef tank. I bought rock with a lot of feather dusters on it and now they have multiplied. I have about 25 new ones that have moved to the floor of my tank. I need to do a water change but I do not want to suck them out or kill them. How do I do a water change?

You can use a siphon and siphon out the debri or use a powerhead to blow off the debri off the rocks and then siphon out the water. Don't worry about killing those hitchhiker feather dusters, they'll be fine! When replacing water make sure you've mixed the salt in your water (should be RO water, preferably RO/DI) for at least 24 hours. Undissolved salt can harm your fish/inverts/corals,etc. Try to match the salinity and temperature as close as possible so the inhabitants aren't shocked. I recommend 10% water change once a week. You can do less depending on how much maintenance you want to do or what your filtration system is like or if you're doing a FOWLR or reef tank.

The problem I am having has to do with siphoning the sand/crushed gravel bed without harming all the feather dusters that are living in it. If I siphon them will it kill them? I have tried to pick them out but they are so tiny I can't get a hold of them.

Back
Top Bottom