Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

finally got time to introduce myself

Hi all,

I'm new to AA but not new to the hobby. I had multiple tanks in my college and post college years and now after 15 years just get back into it.

I started with a 3 gal tank for small Community 3 Tetras, a puffer and then screwed up and got a Albino Tiger Barb which Tore through them all in the course of 2 days then it stressed and Died. I had only kept Cichlids before and had no idea Barbs when not kept in a shoal get nasty.
My Plan was to get this going and use the bacteria to seed the Thirty gallon. I was able to use it though to speed the Cycle on the Thirty. All Level are nice and where they should be, (after 30 days) put the fish in last night. Fish appear healthy, although I did get a Nitrate spike about 6 hours later from almost 0 to 40 in 6 hours.
30% water change brought last night it back down to 10 this morning.
I will check again this evening....

Before anyone states a 30 is too small yet I know that but this is
my 30 gal Starter Oscar Tank. (They are 2inches and 1 1/2 now) and in 6 months after I finishing off my Basement looking at a 125 gal for them.

I have been trolling on here for a Couple of weeks now an finally got around to introduce myself.

Go Giants!

Old 01-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA and GIANTS BABY!!!!

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!
Old 01-31-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Welcome Pton! I'd be careful, my buddy has had his oscar for about 5 months, was only an inch when he got it, now its like a football swimming around the tank! Rascals grow fast! They'll be in heaven once they hit that 125! Sounds like an awesome project, good luck!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevesPrettyCool View Post
Welcome Pton! I'd be careful, my buddy has had his oscar for about 5 months, was only an inch when he got it, now its like a football swimming around the tank! Rascals grow fast! They'll be in heaven once they hit that 125! Sounds like an awesome project, good luck!
Thanks Steve,

Yeah I had Oscars about 15 yrs ago, after I got out of College. I remember how fast they grow. Went from 10 to 30 then 55 gallon then out of Cash......I re homed then to a Friends 150 gal who wanted to reuse his 150 as a Freshwater Tank, After he upgraded his saltwater set up to a larger set up. I kept my Convict and Jack Dempsey until the passed on but then I sold all my stuff. (Got Married) wish I had 1/2 that set back. I have been Lucky I got this 30 gal and Stand for Free (Friend was moving) and just picked up another 30 gal today for Free on Craigslist. Although it is cool seeing the UPS truck pick up know its more Fish Stuff....got to love amazon....

60 gallon(Parrots and Convicts) 55 gallon African Cichlids 5 gallon Betta tank 35 Gallon Hex (Bolivian Rams, Oto cats, Bloodfin Tetra and a shoal of Tiger Barbs) 75 Gallon Oscar Condo. 30 gallon GBRs & Danios
Pton46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com