Finally joined!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SushiLuckyFin

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, have been referring to the forums fir some time but finally bit the bullet and downloaded the android app and joined.

I'm Alex, mum to 9yo & 7yo boys who got goldfish for birthday this year (hence the sponge bob decorations in the tank!)

We live in Sydney Australia.

The fish are 'Sushi', a black and gold fantail with baby headgrowth, and 'Lucky Fin', a Lionhead with NO headgrowth (7yo insisted on picking the smallest one)

They have been with us for almost two months. The cycle is getting there very slowly but it's cold, and I'm determined to do it without adding any extra 'stuff' to the tank. And water changes are so quick with a gravel vacuum.

*sigh* if only I could get the boys to help though, wishful thinking!

Tank is a 2 footer which I'm hoping will last a few years till our babies need an upgrade.

They are certainly very happy. I love watching them scavenge around nibbling the odd bit of algae and playing follow the leader!

Welcome to AA! Hope you like it here, how about you tell us your tank size and filtration, do you keep live plants?

andresdeo said:
Welcome to AA! Hope you like it here, how about you tell us your tank size and filtration, do you keep live plants?

Tank is 60 cm long. Apparently a 60l but I worked out it holds about 50l of ACTUAL water.

No live plants. All silk. I like being able to get stuck into the gravel with the gravel vacuum!

The filter is just a boring internal filter. An aquaone. I pulled out the rather pathetic carbon cartridge. And re cut a new filter sponge for it.

Got a 20cm airstone at opposite end to the filter and have a lovely water flow going on.

Light is an 11w something or other boring.

The stand is a solid pine dvd cupboard I got half price from a furniture store that was closing down!

I kept fish when I was a teenager and DID EVERYTHING WRONG. Every mistake you could make I made!

The tank was two months in planning. And extensively researched (Google helped lots) Every one of our LFS was sick of the sight of me before we even got the fish!

Am I allowed to attach pics yet?

Nice tank and very lovely stand! I have a pine stand and hood as well. Wow, silk plants have come a long way.

Hey there, tank looks great. 50l is a bit under 15 gal, which might be too small for two goldfish further along. The usual rule is 20 gal for the first goldie and then 10 gal for each aditional adult fish. Good filtration will obviously help, but goldies are messy. Beautiful, but messy. You will probably be craving to upgrade in a month or so anyways. Lol.

andresdeo said:
Hey there, tank looks great. 50l is a bit under 15 gal, which might be too small for two goldfish further along. The usual rule is 20 gal for the first goldie and then 10 gal for each aditional adult fish. Good filtration will obviously help, but goldies are messy. Beautiful, but messy. You will probably be craving to upgrade in a month or so anyways. Lol.

Not after the fortune I spent on this one I won't!

There's, what, 2.5 inches if fish in there, which I reckon is fine at least until they get bigger.

I cannot win eh? Had way too many people say 'oh you should get three fish!' 'what? Only two? In a 2 ft tank?' Thought I was crazy when I said I was getting two. LOL!

SushiLuckyFin said:
Not after the fortune I spent on this one I won't!

There's, what, 2.5 inches if fish in there, which I reckon is fine at least until they get bigger.

I cannot win eh? Had way too many people say 'oh you should get three fish!' 'what? Only two? In a 2 ft tank?' Thought I was crazy when I said I was getting two. LOL!

Many people use the adult size of the fish they buy to determine the size of tank needed. That's his point. He's being nice and wants your fish to be really happy. If you're like a lot of the people here you might get the urge to make a fish paradise for your goldies. It's one of the uncontrollable hazards of fish keeping. :)

andresdeo said:
What are your tank measurments? Did you calculate it or were told it is a 50 lit tank?

By calculations. I just double checked, and it's 51.3l. The shop said 60 (which may be full internal volume), same shop that actually FORCED me to buy bacteria after I said I didn't want it, they threw it in without me realising! Needless to say I angrily got my money back and have never trusted anything they say.

Back
Top Bottom