Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Unhappy First Fish

Hi guys, I set up my very first aquarium about two weeks ago, the pet store owners recommended a 28 litre aquarium (which I now know was probably not a good idea) and after a week sold me a Danio to place in it, he's been in there for four days now and seemed to be getting on very well. I did a 30% water change this morning and this afternoon he is on his side in the bottom corner of my tank, I did an ammonia test and found no traces of ammonia, the temperatures fine and the PH hasn't fluctuated.

I turned out the lights and have reduced the activity which goes on around the tank, is he sick? Could it be new tank syndrome?

Thanks,

Jess

Old 12-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you added the fish after a week with out an official cycle it probably isn't cycled and may have traces of ammonia or nitrite, I would do a 30% water change everyday(assuming its not cycled) also I think danios are schooling fish so maybe he's stressed being alone? I'm not to familiar with danios though.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

When you did the water change right?
Old 12-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #4

Ok I'll do the water change every day, I asked the woman at the shop about him being lonely and she just said they don't sell two at the same time and to come back in a week, I've been worried about that. But I also don't want to put too many in because it's quite a small tank.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHaddock
Ok I'll do the water change every day, I asked the woman at the shop about him being lonely and she just said they don't sell two at the same time and to come back in a week, I've been worried about that. But I also don't want to put too many in because it's quite a small tank.
She may have said that because it keeps the bio load(poop) low so that way if the tank isn't cycled it doesn't get overwhelmed with ammonia if there isn't a good bacteria colony built up in your filter yet. (Don't change your filter unless its falling apart and when you do, stick the new filter your going to use in with the old to give the bacteria time to grow on it. Also dechlorintate the water and turn your filter off when you add new water or the chlorine can kill your good bacteria.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Danios are schooling fish and very active they need a much bigger tank. Is there any chance you could take him back and maybe get a beta instead? Your tank would be a perfect size for 1 Just a suggestion
Old 12-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by _skyla_ View Post
Danios are schooling fish and very active they need a much bigger tank. Is there any chance you could take him back and maybe get a beta instead? Your tank would be a perfect size for 1 Just a suggestion
Yeah I will take him back, or get a much bigger tank, I planned to buy a big one anyway, I will use the smaller one as a quarantine tank or something, do you think he will get better or die? He has moved once in the past few hours. But I will definitely get a better suited fish to my tank.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #8

Thanks for the help guys, he just died I'll have to start again with smaller fish and invest in a massive aquarium
Old 12-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHaddock
Thanks for the help guys, he just died I'll have to start again with smaller fish and invest in a massive aquarium
Sorry to hear it. This is a great article to help you get a better start next time.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Just curious, did you treat your water with dechlorinator?
Old 12-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry about the little guy. Yeah have a read of the link posted and decide where you'd like to go from there.

Tags
first fish, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com