First foray into saltwater - 29 gallon Biocube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hirsheybolt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello there - I am new to AA and my fiance and I have multiple freshwater tanks in our home. My Christmas gift this year is a 29 gallon Biocube which we have just set up as of last night. The plan is to create a reef tank. We put 40 lbs of live sand and 28 lbs of already cured live rock in. Need to arrange our live rock. Here to learn about salt water aquarium care and try to avoid mistakes if possible. :)

Thanks! I had already found your thread browsing around. I enjoyed your pictures and updates - Your first clown fish is awesome looking. I'm still contemplating which fish I want to start with... thinking max of 6 fish since I also want to do corals. My OH and I have been discussing - so many choices - a clown is on the list of possibilities as well as firefish, a blenny, a goby, possibly pajama cardinals but I understand they prefer to be in groups so that might not be a good choice. A dwarf angel is on the wish list - contemplating flame angel, or coral beauty... Any insight on fish choices is welcome. :fish2:

Looking for advice on stocking options

So the tank (29 gal biocube) cycled nicely, and back on 12.26 we picked up a couple of hermit crabs and some snails. Then yesterday we added two fish from a local LFS - a lovely looking firefish and not exactly what we had planned (had figured on a blenny) - a scooter dragonet (aka scooter blenny, but not a blenny really). I am hoping for successful feeding. So far he definitely is eating some copepods that are in the tank, but not sure he is eating otherwise.

I am contemplating what other fish to consider - and currently the plan is a green clown goby, single ocellaris (probably the last fish to be added), and I'm hoping a goby that will pair with a pistol shrimp (have been reading that shrimp and goby should be added at the same time).

Goby options that I've been considering to pair with a pistol shrimp include the Orange Stripe Prawn Goby; Orange Spotted Goby; Pink Bar Goby; or a Yasha White Ray Shrimp Goby.

From what I've seen, the Watchman gobies may get a little big for my tank.
Any advice? Does anyone know if there is likelihood for any issues amongst the Scooter Dragonet and the gobies I have mentioned?

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :fish2:

Well first things first the scooter wasn't a good choice, they need large established systems for the best chance at survival. IMHO you may want to return it, it will quickly wipe out your tanks pod population.

As to the shrimp gobies, they usually stick to there burrows and are pretty laid back IME.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom