First Post!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshwaterfishfan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone, this is my first post anywhere so please don't be too critical. I got a 20 gallon fish tank about three weeks ago because I find fishing enjoyable and so I thought taking care of fish will be just as fun. I joined this site because I thought it would be a good reference source if I have questions or need help.
I currently have one crowntail betta, 11 neon tetras, and three mystery snails(although I think more may have spawned). Anyway, that's the end of my intro, see ya!

Hey welcome to AA :D Just curious, have you cycled your tank yet? If not its a common thing that happens to all the fish newbies (including me) and everyone on here will help you out with that, as well as any other questions or concerns :D Feel free to post them under the freshwater & brackish general discussion, or unhealthy fish section if necessary, You'll learn tons and your fish will be so grateful for it! :D

Welcome to AA! This site is filled with people who will try to help as much as we can.

We also love pictures. *Hint, hint*

Enjoy the forums!

I dont exactly know what cycling is. What I did was I first bought a tank, gravel, heater, and filter. I set all of that up and let it sit for about two days(the filter was running). After about the first day the water got all foggy but it went away after about 5 hours. After the second day I got a betta my tetras, and my 3 snails along with a bunch of plants( i don't remember what they are called) and from that day on the water has been crystal clear, so I'm assuming I did something right. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to loose any of my fish.

Okay. It looks like you're doing a fish in cycle now.

Do you have a test kit? You will need to test everyday for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I suggest the API master liquid test kit. The strips are notorious for being incorrect.

Daily water changes come with the fish in cycle, unfortunately.

Look up all the info you can about in fish cycling.

I have a test kit that says it accounts for all of those. I've been testing and my ammonia level has been at .25.
Thanks for the help, I'll do some research tomorrow,
Oh I also have had two odd things come up that I could not find on Google and if someone could help I would appreciate it.
1) I noticed a slimy glob, almost egg-like, it had a white center made up of fluff-like balls and a clear slim surrounding it. It was around the stem of my plant where it branched off. I realized it was growing so I cut out that part of the plant with this substance. Can anyone enlighten me as to what it was?
2) About an hour ago I saw thin spider-web material hanging of the same plant, I plan on letting it sit there for a while and see what happens. If anyone has any tips or suggestions to what I should do, I'm listening.

Back
Top Bottom