First Saltwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diveintoapool

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Forum!

I wanted to say hello to everyone and say "thank you" in advance for any future advice.

I started cycling a 20 gallon tank (standard) about 1 month ago. I have about 5 lbs crushed coral (on the bottom), 20lbs of live sand on top of that, and 15 lbs of live rock. It's an old freshwater tank, so I probably do not have all of the high speed equipment that everyone would prefer I have to run a saltwater tank. I have a standard florescent light, but I am getting a T5 HO light with LED (for moonlight) in the next couple of weeks. I made my own DIY Coke bottle skimmer (seems to be working pretty good - lots of skim mate, but more water than I would like), and I have a Tetra Whisper EX70 HOB powerfilter. I made my own filter pads from some pond filters, and I am also using the filter pad that came with the unit which holds charcoal in the middle. I want to try to make it a refugium, but I do not know if it is possible since the pump is in the middle of the unit. I also have a Hydor Koralia Nano 425 Aquarium Circulation Pump, 425 gph.

My ammonia peaked at 2.0 about a week ago, but has since dropped to 0. I added a emerald crab and 4 snails once it hit 0. Next week I am adding a clean-up crew from Reefcleaners.com. (5.5 gallon package and some extras)

Over the next year I want to add a pair of ocelleris clowns (these will be first - probably in 3 weeks), a blenny, a neon goby or two, maybe a wrasse or a firefish, and a couple of hermit crabs. I might throw a peppermint shrimp or cleaner shrimp in there as well. I still have some research to do before I add all of that, and of course I will check minimum tank size and compatibility first. I mostly working on keeping my snails alive for now :)

I know the 2 inches of fish per 5 gallons of water rule. If I add more, I will be sure to include a sump or a refugium. I just want to get the clowns in for now.

My PH is steadily climbing. When I started it was at 7.9, but it is not at 8.1. I purchased some pH Up from API, but further research said that it might crash my system, so I am holding off since it is climbing on its own.

I do need help identifying something, and I posted it in this thread last night:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f18/brown-tubes-on-live-rock-234499.html

I look forward to any comments from the forum. Have a great Thanksgiving as well.

Fo saltwater there isn't really a given "rule" about inches of fish per gallon.

It's really about the bioload and the levels in your tank.

Good luck with your tank. :)

Welcome to the forum!!! There is a wealth of info on here that you will find extremely valuable!

Back
Top Bottom