Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-26-2013, 07:00 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mogurako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: US, Washington state
Posts: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardfrog View Post
Cheers.

Hopefully the wood will sink soon, its been a week. Got quite a lot of what looks like cynobacteria? Its like a velvety coating on the wood and some on the gravel.
Wood that has not been submerged before will get a fuzzy coating on the wood, it won't hurt anything just looks bad. If you'd like you can take the wood out scrub it with hot water and stiff bristled brush, then place it back into the aquarium. Also I would consider adding a 2nd FX5 for a tank that large.

The tank looks great though!I love that lightning/hood set up, I'd be interested on seeing more photos/ getting more info on it.
__________________

__________________
Mogurako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 46
Thanks for the tips. I had the same problem in the 10gal and did just that, took out the mopani and scrubbed it. I was wondering if the one fx5 would be enough. With all my substrate and wood etc I guess I'm nearer 750l. So getting 2x tank volume per hour. Its cycling ok after only a week, probably removing around 6ppm ammonia in 48hrs. If I can get it removing 3-5ppm in 24hr its probably ok for my stocking levels. The fx5 canister has a huge capacity. I do have another external cristalprofi I could add as I was debating setting up a refugium/shrimp tank underneath.

The hood and frame I did myself. I'll get some better pics up, maybe in the hardware section?
__________________

__________________
leopardfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mogurako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: US, Washington state
Posts: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardfrog View Post
Thanks for the tips. I had the same problem in the 10gal and did just that, took out the mopani and scrubbed it. I was wondering if the one fx5 would be enough. With all my substrate and wood etc I guess I'm nearer 750l. So getting 2x tank volume per hour. Its cycling ok after only a week, probably removing around 6ppm ammonia in 48hrs. If I can get it removing 3-5ppm in 24hr its probably ok for my stocking levels. The fx5 canister has a huge capacity. I do have another external cristalprofi I could add as I was debating setting up a refugium/shrimp tank underneath.

The hood and frame I did myself. I'll get some better pics up, maybe in the hardware section?
What stock are you considering? I would like to see a detailed break down of your stand/hood either in a thread or PM me. I've been considering a setup that is similar to yours.
__________________
Mogurako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 46
Stock is likely to be....

12 adolfoi corydoras
20 lemon tetras
10 buenos aires tetra
2 leopard frog plecs
50 shrimp of some sort
Pair panduro apistogramma

I'll write up something on the hood and post it up.

Just stocked the 10gal, the betta really doesn't like onion snails. He keeps posturing and displaying toward them. Keeps him away from the shrimp and gobys though.
__________________
leopardfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mogurako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: US, Washington state
Posts: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardfrog View Post
Stock is likely to be....

12 adolfoi corydoras
20 lemon tetras
10 buenos aires tetra
2 leopard frog plecs
50 shrimp of some sort
Pair panduro apistogramma

Sounds like a good stock list my concerns would be as follows the shrimp could end up being snacks and Buenos aires will eat plants like there is no tomorrow, not even moss is safe with them! You could house multiple pairs of Apisto in that tank if you wanted to or maybe add Gymnogeophagus or the smaller species of Geophagus.
__________________
Mogurako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 46
I figured a few shrimps would get caught. They'll be the first additions, plants arrive from holland next week. There should be lots of cover for them.

I'd like a couple pairs of apistogramma actually. I knew buenos aires nibbled, but not to that extent. Don't geophagus tend to dig a lot? I'm using tropica substrate and its quite clay based so would cloud a lot if they dug too hard.

May rethink a second pair of apistos then. Maybe some cacautoides as I'm a bit new to this. Any geophagus that don't dig too much?
__________________
leopardfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: AquaLand
Posts: 1,995
Wow, that's a nice tank!
__________________
Oscar and ClownKnife Fish Lover
Fishanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mogurako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: US, Washington state
Posts: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardfrog View Post
I knew buenos aires nibbled, but not to that extent.
I have some in a cichlid tank and they have eaten all my hornwort, Val's, frog bit and moss down to nothing in no time flat! I find once one fish takes a bite the rest follow suit and just tear what ever the plant is to shreds. Reminds me of a miniature school of piranha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardfrog View Post
Don't geophagus tend to dig a lot? I'm using tropica substrate and its quite clay based so would cloud a lot if they dug too hard.
They do so if you are using actual planting substrate than I would forgo the Geos. Dicrossus maculatus and/or a species of Laetacara "dwarf Acara" would look good in that tank to with the Apistos.
__________________
Mogurako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 46
Had a look and those look nice. Got any suggestions for a South American algae water? I hear ottos can be difficult to keep?
__________________
leopardfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mogurako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: US, Washington state
Posts: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardfrog View Post
Had a look and those look nice. Got any suggestions for a South American algae water? I hear ottos can be difficult to keep?
Ottos just need an established tank with lots of biofilm to eat.
__________________

__________________
Mogurako is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
20 gallon, first tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.