first tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samba

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, well finally got my first tank and very excited, my brother has kept tropical fish for over 15 years and tried to talk me into getting one but never have, he now works in a aquatics shop and I fell in love with a flame hawkfish there and since then been dying for my own marine tank, anyway went away with a friend for the weekend and came back to my own juwel rio 180l tank bought by my partner as a surprise, best present ever, although it's taken over my life since so I think he's starting to regret it now so any advice greatly appreciated, the picture I have posted today is day 3 of the cycle, I need more rock, how much rock should I have in a 40 gallon tank? Should I do a water change before I add my fish, going to start with a clown fish and a boxer shrimp before buying a flame hawkfish

Samba said:
Hi all, well finally got my first tank and very excited, my brother has kept tropical fish for over 15 years and tried to talk me into getting one but never have, he now works in a aquatics shop and I fell in love with a flame hawkfish there and since then been dying for my own marine tank, anyway went away with a friend for the weekend and came back to my own juwel rio 180l tank bought by my partner as a surprise, best present ever, although it's taken over my life since so I think he's starting to regret it now so any advice greatly appreciated, the picture I have posted today is day 3 of the cycle, I need more rock, how much rock should I have in a 40 gallon tank? Should I do a water change before I add my fish, going to start with a clown fish and a boxer shrimp before buying a flame hawkfish

Welcome to AA!! :) should have about 1lb rock per gallon, a little more wouldn't hurt. Can use base rock though to cut the cost down and then just a few pieces of live rock. All of us get addicted to this hobby once we're in it. It kinda takes over all free time!! Lol. Have fun!!

Hi, thanks for that, it's great I'm loving this forum, finding alsorts out.x

Back
Top Bottom