Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2015, 12:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbarb27 View Post
It's inexpensive, and heavier than many of the colored sands (or resins) sold at many of the chain pet stores. Wash it really well before putting it in the tank and let it sit before you turn on the filter.

Do you have a siphon to clean the bottom of the tank? They aren't expensive and are very important in doing weekly water changes. Sand will get sucked up into the siphon but if you tip it at an angle the sand falls down to the bottom.

Another low cost item I would recommend is a thermometer so you can monitor tank temp.

after having sand in 7 tanks you get to the expert point of swirling it above a dirty area which kicks up the debris without getting the sand. There is ways to do it

Caleb

Old 05-19-2015, 07:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
after having sand in 7 tanks you get to the expert point of swirling it above a dirty area which kicks up the debris without getting the sand. There is ways to do it

Caleb
I have eight tanks with sand substrate so I've mastered the technique but I wanted to offer the tip if she had never siphoned sand It's no fun to have a bucket full of wet sand the first time you attempt a water change!

Old 05-19-2015, 10:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbarb27 View Post
I have eight tanks with sand substrate so I've mastered the technique but I wanted to offer the tip if she had never siphoned sand It's no fun to have a bucket full of wet sand the first time you attempt a water change!

Oh I know that feeling. When I first tried Tahitian Moon Sand by Caribsea I swear I had vacuumed up half the bag because the stuff is so "dusty" and thin compared to my other sands. It's a learning process.

Caleb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com