First time salt user ;)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laniloo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone,

This is my first time joining an aquatic community - but already I can tell what great advice and support this place has to offer.

I just recently set up my salt water tank (Oceanic Biocube 14 Gallon Nano Aquarium). I've had a freshwater aquarium for years, but have always wanted to move into the realm of saltwater. I won't lie...I was terrified, seemed like such a hard thing to maintain.

My husband had enough of me hmming and haaing and decided to go ahead and buy me a tank for Christmas.

I quickly purchased the gravel (CaribSea Arag-alive and Florida crushed coral), and about 13lbs of live rock (about 4 rocks). I added some snails and hermit crabs and let that cycle for about 2 weeks. Chris (my new best friend at the pet store) told me my tank should go through a "brown algae phase" - this happened quite quickly! A few days later I ran some water tests (PH, Nitrate, Nitrite & Ammonia) and everything seemed to balance out (though my Ph was at 8.4 (a little too high, I think?).

Yesterday I added a small coral (I forgot to write down what it was called, but I'm looking through books right now), and a clownfish. Everyone seems happy and healthy - but I know this is only the beginning.

So thats me. Very new to the saltwater tank and very very scared of killing Nemo (i know i know...but my step daughter insisted I call it that).

Looking forward to discussing various topics with you all!

- Lani

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php I would read this regarding aquarium paramaters The smaller the tank the more challenging it is because of less room for error you have a very challenging setup for a newbie. I would recommend removing the crushed coral because stuff gets trapped between the crushed coral and decomposes adding ammonia and nitrates to the tank very quickly in a small setup and can be traumatic for anything alive in your tank. Most people wait months to add any life to a saltwater aquarium.. And about every reef keeper you will talk to uses RO/DI water from either a home water purifier or store bought RO/DI water Not using RO/DI water will add lots of impurities to your tank and are usually that and lighting are the source of an algae bloom... It takes years to develop the rather impressive Coral Reef display and lots of time and patience is necessary.. Just take it slow and research as much as possible.. Welcome to AA

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php I would read this regarding aquarium paramaters The smaller the tank the more challenging it is because of less room for error you have a very challenging setup for a newbie. I would recommend removing the crushed coral because stuff gets trapped between the crushed coral and decomposes adding ammonia and nitrates to the tank very quickly in a small setup and can be traumatic for anything alive in your tank. Most people wait months to add any life to a saltwater aquarium.. And about every reef keeper you will talk to uses RO/DI water from either a home water purifier or store bought RO/DI water Not using RO/DI water will add lots of impurities to your tank and are usually that and lighting are the source of an algae bloom... It takes years to develop the rather impressive Coral Reef display and lots of time and patience is necessary.. Just take it slow and research as much as possible.. Welcome to AA

Thanks for the great advice!

I definitely agree about the RO/DI water, I bought a filter for my freshwater tank a few years ago and haven't looked back since.

I had a sneaking suspicion that I added the coral and fish way too soon, however Chris (BFF at the pet store) assured me that it wouldn't be too soon to add a small hardy coral. He said that usually people add fish before coral but given the results of my water test (I brought a sample of my tank water for them to check out), I could try a fish and a coral.

After reading that the majority of SW tank handlers wait months before adding any life, I realize I may have made a mistake.

Ah well. Learning the hard way I suppose.

Thanks again!

WELCOME TO AA!!!

The brown algae phaze is known as a diatom bloom, it is natural and will burn out. Keep in mind, your LFS are in it for money, we are here to give advice (no strings attached...well maybe except for some pics), based on personal experience and knowledge. We look forward to your pics!!!!

Back
Top Bottom