First-Time with Fishies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shwa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there. I am completely new to the world of fish. My kids received 2 comet (I believe) goldfish at a birthday party a few weeks ago and that's how it all started. They were in individual tiny bowls and then we immediately transferred them together into a larger bowl. After reading about how big they could potentially get (and after having to clean the dirty bowl every other day) we decided to get a tank with a filter. They're now enjoying their 28 gallon tank and I'm gearing up to do my first partial water change (a little nervous!)

Besides the water changes the biggest mystery to me is.... how much to feed them? I have heard: 1) 2 flakes per fish per day 2) a nickel-sized pinch every other day 3) as much as they can eat in 2-3 minutes 4) a few flakes 3 times a day. Which is it!!!?????!!! I have been feeding them once a day at night and giving them about 10 flakes each which they gobble up in about 30 seconds. Am I starving them?

Thanks and I look forward to learning a lot about them. I'm so glad we have this wonderful resource!

Welcome to the site!
You may want to post your questions in the FW Getting Started section.

Well I'll let others chime in as far as cycling the tank and other things. As far as feeding, I feed mine 2 times a day. I give them a pinch of food and wait for them to eat it. Give them another pinch and wait. I do that for about 2 minutes or until they loose interest. I'd say 10 flakes for 2 goldfish probably isn't enough.

I'd read through some of the articles that are at the top of the Freshwater Getting Started threads. In particular... http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/24/1/Nitrogen-Cycle-/Page1.html

You made the right move on getting them out of those small bowls and getting something larger, with a filter! Good luck!

welcometoaa.gif

Back
Top Bottom