First timer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hairy_Harold

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys my name's Rohan and i'm a first timer to the whole aquarium world. Hopefully I can add something of use to this forum and would like to tell a bit of a story about how I became interested in fish keeping. I've been always interested in fishing but more for the sport of it not to eat (catch and release). I've only really targeted native bass and have always been interested in having a native aquarium.

I currently have a 3x1.5x1.5' tank that I was givento me by my brother, it was in need of serious repair. Pulled the whole thing apart and re siliconed it (not the nicest job but it works).
It is home to 1 barra, 2 silver perch, 1 golden perch, 2 freshwater mussels, 2 bristlenose (1 peppermint and 1 albino) and I had 2 sucker fish but they are MIA at the moment.

The tank is filter buy a Aquafx spr-800 Internal filter and a DIY canister consisting of a 30litre plastic drum and a 1500lph water feature pump. Has about 100 large bioballs, 50 small bioballs and will add another 100 larger balls soon.
I have a feeder fish tank well bucket for the moment until my friend cleans up his place to get out his small tank which they will be going into. That's filtered by a aquafx spr-500 and will have a hang on filter full of noodles when I actually get the tank (can't put it on the bucket)

I'm aware of the growth rate of barramundi (not even 10cm yet) and at the moment this tank is suitable and I will be acquiring a 6x2x2' tank in the very near future. Which I will be trying my hands at my first attempt at a sump (might be over kill but I hate maintanance)
I jumped into all this without even knowing about the nitrogen cycled but in the end I came out of it with no deaths which i'm pleased about as i've become attached to my fish reasonably fast.

Welcome to AA! A picture of your tank and esp your DIY cannister would be great if you have them.

Not quite so much to show for looks like a crushed plastic drum. The plastic drum was too weak and the pump has sucked the drum in on itself. One day I have to get around to re-enforcing it with some internal crossmembers. The main reason why i built it was to get things going quickly as I didn't have money for a decent canister and thought that the 30litre drum would easily surpass any canister on the market for biological media volume. I will be buying a proper canister for the moment (just for neatness) and having another look at it for when I get my 6 and 8ft tanks. I will deffinately throw up pictures when i do that of where I went wrong and what I will be fixing ie bigger intake and outlet, bigger pump, better spray bar and a few other little things.

Thank you for your interest though.

Oh yes my fish are all Australian natives except the Bristlenoses for those that didn't know.

At the moment there is a african cichlid tank being worked out, looking like 16 cichlids and 2 bn's in a 3ft tank for the gf. The tank is cycling at the moment with some feeder guppies but only with an internal filter, just need to get an external canister and the fish after that.

There is also a 19x12x12" 50L tank being set up at the moment that has some australian freshwater mussels that I need to take back to the river. I am thinking of a heavily planted tank and stocking it with glass shrimp. I will be trying my luck at a mini diy canister to increase the bio load over the internal filter as I hate water changes.

Back
Top Bottom