Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2014, 09:38 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

You need the other high ph test bottle

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 02-18-2014, 10:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

But isn't this level too high for my fish?

Old 02-19-2014, 12:09 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by spfdfish View Post
Tap is 0 last time I tested. I will report back tonight. When I'm testing after the multiple changes when should I test? Just after the third one? And should it be immediately after? I read somewhere on here that using prime can lead to false readings? Anyways thanks for the advice. My next reply will have results later tonight.
Test the water about an hour after a water change. Each 50% change should drop the ammonia by 50% so there should be a sizable change after each one. And no, prime will not change your reading for ammonia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haripriya View Post
I do have the same problem it's been two weeks I set up the tank and ammonia is already high
Your tank is cycling. Refer to the link I posted earlier in the thread.

Quote:
But isn't this level too high for my fish?
Unlikely. Most fish tolerate a wide range of ph levels.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:39 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I went to the store today and the person their checked my water again and said that the ph level went low and nitrates and nitrites are high yesterday I used prime and today they gave me a ph increaser
Old 02-19-2014, 01:10 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ph is not nearly as important as nitrites, ammonia and nitrates for most fish. Most can adapt to different ph levels.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #16

I just can't seem to get the ammonia reading to be 0 tank has been up and running with fish in for 2 months. Nothing has died I do 40% wc every 2 days feed one time a day. The reading is the real light lime green color. I did the multiple wc in one night but still the reading was never 0. I treat my water with prime. And when I first started I did the 7 days of stability. Water from tap is 0 ammonia. Basically how can I tell if my tank is cycled I know it is whether or not the tank can convert ammonia. So should I stop focusing so much on ammonia and do more frequent tests of nitrate or nitrite? Just want to make sure the fish in there are living and not just surviving.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #17

Hard to make out the colors in the photo but here are the samples from this morning Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393525038.591499.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	225040
Old 03-03-2014, 04:11 AM   #18

Looking at these colors is there concern for my tank?
Old 03-03-2014, 04:50 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
I just can't seem to get the ammonia reading to be 0 tank has been up and running with fish in for 2 months. Nothing has died I do 40% wc every 2 days feed one time a day. The reading is the real light lime green color. I did the multiple wc in one night but still the reading was never 0. I treat my water with prime. And when I first started I did the 7 days of stability. Water from tap is 0 ammonia. Basically how can I tell if my tank is cycled I know it is whether or not the tank can convert ammonia. So should I stop focusing so much on ammonia and do more frequent tests of nitrate or nitrite? Just want to make sure the fish in there are living and not just surviving.
A tank is cycled if it is consuming both nitrite and nitrate as fast as its produced. Both ammonia and nitrite are very toxic to fish. My suggestion to you is to do 3 50% water changes all with an hour of time between them. Then wait an hour for the water to circulate before testing again. This should knock your levels down quite low.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:54 AM   #20

I have aleady done that once as you suggested. Do I just keep doing that daily?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com