First week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodPhoenix

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A week ago i got a fish 20 gal tank. Set it up and ran it for a day. Had the local fish store test the water. It was all good. Got 5 neon tetra, 3 tall plants and 4 small plants. I read on here the importance of testing water so i ordered off of amizon api master test kit. First it said i was denied so i wend and bought one from local fish store. Now its saying it will be delivered today. I don't know if i should keep the 2nd test kit or just try to sell it. As for the tank, the ammonia is staying at .25 even after a 25% partial. None of them didn't die on me yet. My next plan is to get shrimp but don't really know when should i get them.

Shrimp need a cycled and matured tank. Wait until the tank has shown 0 ammonia and nitrites for at least two months before adding shrimp. If you add them now, they will die, as they are extremely sensitive to ammonia and nitrites and do not belong in a cycling tank.
Your tank is not properly cycled, and now you'll have to fish-in-cycle. This is doable, you just need to carefully monitor parameters and do water changes as needed. Please read up on the nitrogen cycle. I'll provide some links at the end of this post. Make sure to be diligent in your testing and water changes.
You could sell the second test kit or send it back to Amazon, if possible. I doubt you'd need two, they last for years.
Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle (The Complete How-To Guide) - Fishkeeping Advice
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Today i stopped by the pet store because it was the same as the one they sold me, they ended giving me credit. I talked with the guy for a while. He basically said the same thing. I ended getting from him a piece something that he took out from behind one of his filters and said to put it behind mine to help bacteria growth. Also said not to feed each day like the book that came with fish tank but to feed every other day the size of there eyes. He said i was over feeding which is not helping. I was putting a pinch once a day. There eyes all put together are smaller then what i was putting in there. Let me know if he is right. How many time a week do you suggest to do a partial? Its kinda late of not getting the fish. I just want the cycle to go right from where im at.

That's good to hear. I'm very glad he gave you some seeded media! That will help tremendously with cycling.
What he said about feeding was spot on. Feeding small amounts while the tank cycles will help keep levels in check. Fish really don't need much food, so its best to feed sparingly in order to avoid overfeeding.
With partial water changes, it depends on where your parameters are at. If they're not too bad, I'd do one a week; if they're really high, I'd do two and possibly add aditional as needed.

20170712_115449.jpg i did a 24L partial. It's at the same color. The green is the water in the tank after change and the yellow is tap water.

If needed, another water change can help get levels down. It's good to see that your tap water has zero ammonia.

Today was first day that the ammonia is at zero. I took the rest of the tests and they are
High ph 8.4
Ph 7.6
Nitrate 5.0
Nitrite 5.0
I looked to see online about next steps. it talks about them but they concentrate more on ammonia. What should i do and look for?

I don't know the name of this plant. It has flowers on it now. Is there a place i can learn more about it?

Looks like an aponogeton but I don't know what kind, possibly Aponogeton natans? Looks like the kind I got from "Betta bulbs".

Back
Top Bottom