Fish Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Felicity

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:n00b:
Hi all, I was referred here by a friend on another forum--she's says this is the place to learn lots of good stuff about caring for fish and their environment.

I have a 10 gallon where my guppies breed uncontrollably, and a new 29 gallon freshwater.

Felicity

Welcome! Guppies are known to do that, especially if you give them a little help saving babies, or don't have any larger tankmates.

Might look into fishless cycling that new aquarium. Get it off to a healthy start.

Might look into fishless cycling that new aquarium. Get it off to a healthy start.

I "seeded" the new tank with the filter and some items from the old tank and let it sit with a couple fish for a while...it seems to have worked well, no deaths in the week since the transfer of all but four of the guppies.

Thank you both for the welcome!:-D

Welcome to AA! Yes guppies are uncontrollable breeders. I ended up separating my males form the females. Unfortunately females can store sperm so they kept having babies for a few months after.

Unfortunately females can store sperm so they kept having babies for a few months after.
I found that out when as a super-noob to aquariums my original few guppies died except for one female. I just left her in there and lo-and behold! 2 months later there were little ones swimming around. Since then, the tank exploded with new births! I still have that female--I call her Mitochondrial Eve. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom