Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Fishies at freezing!

Hi, I had some goldfish that I got from a halloween fair (never heard that one before!) about a year ago. Nobody ever told me anything about cycling or cleaning maintanence they just said put 'em in a tank with some water in it! So I got a small 6 gallon tank with no heater from petco for 5 goldfish and fed them too much constantly since nobody told me otherwise. Mind you it gets down to 50 inside the house at night and below zero outside pretty often. I only cleaned it when it got so bad that you couldn't see the fish through the algae on the glass and the soupy green water. But since they're goldfish they cant seem to die. But they finally did after about a year so I decided to do tropical fish. Now the pet stores decide to tell me how to acually take care of the fish. So after researching the subject thoroughly and spending every waking moment thinking about fish, I cleaned up and got my new tropical tank started and cycled with 4 zebra danios. So now after sadly killing 5 goldfish, 3 zebra danios, an otocinclus, about 9 ghosh shrimp, 2 snails, a black molly,and a green spotted puffer, I think i'm finally getting the hang of it!! Hey everybody makes those mistakes right?...RIGHT! So now I have a 55 gallon tank that I got for CHRISTmas that we built our own stand for and access to a 10 gall. tank. I'm gunna do it right this time! But i'm gunna need a litle help along the way, so thats why I joined you guys!! Its nice to know people who really know what they're talking about. So after a while, hopefully, i'll learn how to write shorter messages here! I'll be posting!! Thanks for reading!

ps. I like that name. Dont you?

Tetra22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Well first thing you want to do is a fishles cycle so when you put them in there is already benefitial bacteria to help keep the ammonia down.

Welcome btw

and tetra is a GREAT name as I am a HUGE fan of Neon Tetra

Disaster struck!!! must rebuild
Starting with 30 Gallon tank
TheNamelessPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
And how do I do a fishless cycle?? I know your supposed to run the tank with no fish in it for about a week or so to get acclamated and to make sure there aren't any problems.
Tetra22 is offline   Reply With Quote

fish, life, story

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com