Fishless In Iowa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AgilityIG

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just wanted to introduce myself and my fishless tank :p I have been reading a lot on this forum and have learned a ton (and been confused quite a bit too :confused:)

I had fish when I was a kid (many eons ago!)... back when I just dumped the fish and the new water all in the tank together - it's amazing that they all lived!!

The TV in my bedroom died and I decided that a fish tank would be more entertaining and relaxing than another TV, so I purchased a 20L and have it set up with gravel, filter, heater, fabric plants, and some hiding places for the future residents.

A couple of questions - the filter (HOB - Top Fin brand) that I bought seems to be quite loud - not sure if it's the vibration or if there is something wrong - it seems to be working fine. The filter we have on our tank at work is not nearly as loud.

Also - for the future residents, I was thinking of dwarf gouramis, some ghost shrimp (will the gouramis leave them alone?), snails, ghost cats and maybe a frog? Who would get along or need to be left out of this group?

I need to get a test kit - I have a PetSmart and a Petco nearby - do they carry a good liquid kit? Brand name?

Welcome to AA!
20 liters is only about 5G's, and I would only recommend a betta for that size of tank.
If you want to get a test kit, get the API Master Freshawater liquid test kit, but you can order it online in the Dr's Foster/Smith aquatics section. :)

OH ok! WHEW! Well then, that opens MANY more doors!!!
I am not too good on the stocking and compatibility area, since I have only had a few fish, so I hope someone else picks this up!

Welcome to AA :) For the test kit, you'd be better off ordering one than going to petsmart or petco... i think petsmart sells the api master kit for like $32 but you can order it online usually for less than $20. I've never had glass/ghost cats, but i've heard theyre fragile and really susceptible to disease.

I checked the price on Foster and Smith - it's $23.99, but they charge you $8.99 shipping. So ends up almost the same price as PetSmart ($32.99 online price).

Any thoughts on the filter? It was just so loud I had to unplug it for the night - I am returning it over my lunch hour - any brand recommendations for good and quiet?

i've seen people say they got theirs at walmart for around $17 or $18 online and used the free site to store shipping... maybe somebody can tell you which one that is. as for the filter, i've got aquaclears and theyre awesome. next to a canister, theyre the absolute best hang on filter you can get (and theyre quiet)...i'd recommend an ac50 for your tank

Thanks all! I ended up getting an Aqueon Quiet Flow and it is super quiet (especially compared to the last filter).

I'm in CR too.

Have you ever been down to Coralville Bay? A co-worker told me it's a good place to get fish.

I'm in CR too.

Have you ever been down to Coralville Bay? A co-worker told me it's a good place to get fish.

Ed down there has good quality fish, Mike at Pet's Playhouse here in CR does as well. I got my tank from Ed a few weeks ago the best price around.

LMK if I cna be of any other help. Also you should check out finflap.com which is the local Eastern Iowa Aquaria Assoc. we meet every 2nd Tuesday of hte month out by Robins just north of Boyson Rd.

Craig

Thanks. I went to Pet's Playhouse this past weekend to "window shop". It's a bit overwhelming when you don't know what you want :D, but it sure was neat - I plan to go back. Right now my tank is cycling, so am just mentally stocking :rolleyes: I have to go to the Quad Cities this weekend, so hopefully can visit CB one way or the other.

Back
Top Bottom