Fishy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zanthal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I'm really here just to ask a couple of questions from the experts.

I have a gallon fish bowl with a fan tail goldfish that is thriving quite well, and I intend to upgrade soo.

Welcome!

I am not an expert by any means, but, I have learned quite a bit before I joined here and after.

Yes, please do upgrade your goldfish asap! The fish should have a minimum of a 20g tank, and any additional fish 10g more per fish.

In the meantime, please change the bowl water daily at a minimum, or even twice daily if possible! :)

Goldfish living in a bowl, even if water is changed daily, will not thrive. They live miserable lives and short ones at that in a bowl. Their internal organs will keep growing, even if their bodies don't, and this eventually leads to death. It's horrible. Their spines get squished, their organs mash together. It's just horrible :'(

Here are a few links:
Goldfish: A Guide for Proper Care and Living Environment
Why goldfish bowls should be banned | Aquariadise
Why you should never keep goldfish in a bowl [Guest Post] - The Goldfish Tank

Good luck and ask away with any questions :)

Hello, I'm really here just to ask a couple of questions from the experts.

I have a gallon fish bowl with a fan tail goldfish that is thriving quite well, and I intend to upgrade soo.

Actually, it's not thriving at all. A one gallon bowl is about 30 times too small. Any of the more trusted sites will advise that ANY goldfish needs at least a 30 gallon tank in order to thrive. And another 10g per additional goldfish. I would recommend that you make the upgrade ASAP. If you're in an area near a Petco, their $1/gal sale is going on or upcoming depending on your location. Upon doing so, I'm sure you will notice a bit different behavior for the better. You'll also need some type of filtration and a test kit for your water. Test kit should be the liquid and not the strips. As well, you'll need a water conditioner such as either Seachem or API products.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Back
Top Bottom