For the kitties!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

April V

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi-
It's been about 10 years since I've had an aquarium, but I've had a lot of experience in the past. At one point, when my daughter was small, I was raising hibrid angelfish and Victoria Lake mouthbreeders (messy, but cool!). I had fifty or-so aquariums set up in a one bedroom apartment. It was a great extra income!

Now, and since then, the aquariums in the house have been limited to one really nice unit. The one I have right now, a 28 gal bowfront with two external power filters...one has a "bio-wheel" which is a cool concept. It has levebearers and mostly easy-going fish (see profile). I have it well-planted and landscaped.

My cats sit on a kitty bed in front of it and stare for hours. I use it for meditation and something to create white noise when I read.

I've been using multi-function test strips, which were new to me since I set the tank up in December. While they show everything balanced, in general, they are indicating a high nitrate level and low alkalinity. I think I'm past normal break-in cycle stage. For now, I'm going to try a partial water-change.

I've recently heard that the multi-function strips can be relatively inacurate. I have an internal one-year amonia gauge, which seems fairly reliable. The water board in my area adds amonia to its treatment plant operations, so I need to be careful.

Back
Top Bottom