Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2009, 11:48 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

A Comparison of the Ecology of Planktonic Bacteria in Fresh and Salt Water, by John E. Hobbie 1988 American Society of Limnology and Oceanography.
Abstract
The planktonic bacteria inhabiting fresh and salt waters are not physiologically identical; most marine bacteria, for example, require sodium and some marine forms can thrive at 1,000 atm of pressure in the deep sea. Despite this difference, the conclusion of this review is that the ecology of planktonic bacteria is virtually identical in fresh and salt waters. The differences are small and mostly a matter of relative proportion of various processes. That is, similar bacterial processes occur in fresh and salt waters but in each environment, one process may be more important than another.

JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Old 07-30-2009, 01:18 AM   #22
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Old 07-30-2009, 01:26 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with HN1, that article is a bit out of date.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:08 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 for HN1 and Thom... I still go with My statement of them being different bacteria forms..I will have to get a bottle of that stuff and really read the label.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

since there is so many different opinions about products on the market I decided to call the mfg of Stress Zyme that states there additive will work on both fresh and salt, since I have a business of my own I know that competitors will test your product and if it does not do what it says you are looking at a court date and law suits, I have read many articles when beggining raising fish some years ago on these products that are researched by people with PHDs in this field many test and research and alot of money is poured into these products all by educated people in this field, PHD researchers. So I talked to Bryan at Aquarium Pharmaceutical he said that the bacteria is of the Genius something with a P family and there are thousands of types of bacteria and he could not disclose the entire contents but that in the bottle are dormant many strans that when they go into water they start to break down waste in both fresh and salt.

As far as me taking my FW filter and putting in my SW tank he said it wouldnt be as affective as if I put it in FW but that it may help.

In todays world if you try to cheat the public you will be caught.
Sure many people are sceptical of new things, bet there were many who did not believe a plane could fly or computers would be in every home and business.

So to think that thre are products that can kick start the bacteria process in both FW and SW all in one bottle is not to hard to believe in todays world of science.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #26
Fish R friends, not food!

My question is this: Can you have all 0 readings in an established tank? 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrites and 0 Nitrates? Wouldnt that mean that there where no chemical processes happening at all in the water (not cycled). IE...no breaking down of waste materials....etc..? I have 0 for ammonia and NitrItes, but 0 NitrAtes?
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

"As far as me taking my FW filter and putting in my SW tank he said it wouldnt be as affective as if I put it in FW but that it may help."
It may help by becoming an additional Ammonia source......
Old 07-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #28
AA Team Emeritus

No one has mentioned it yet but products that contain live bacteria must be kept refrigerated throughout the whole shipping process. If it is not you are basically wasting your money. I have tried similar products when I first started out with no avail. Things are getting a little tense in here but I wanted to give my $0.02!
Old 07-30-2009, 03:35 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

they said it is not live in bottle but dormant

meegosh, constructive debate is healthy,I worked in mental health field for some time, I only registered to see photos of what I was trying to find out about what was on my LR and wow debate time that is typical when someone enters a new forum, I have several other hobbies such as reloading ammunition and shooting in competition and when entering new sites same thing debate time, been reloading for over 30 years.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #30
Fish R friends, not food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
my question is this: Can you have all 0 readings in an established tank? 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates? Wouldnt that mean that there where no chemical processes happening at all in the water (not cycled). Ie...no breaking down of waste materials....etc..? I have 0 for ammonia and nitrites, but 0 nitrates?

thoughts????

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com