found this forum on a google search

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A Comparison of the Ecology of Planktonic Bacteria in Fresh and Salt Water, by John E. Hobbie © 1988 American Society of Limnology and Oceanography.
Abstract
The planktonic bacteria inhabiting fresh and salt waters are not physiologically identical; most marine bacteria, for example, require sodium and some marine forms can thrive at 1,000 atm of pressure in the deep sea. Despite this difference, the conclusion of this review is that the ecology of planktonic bacteria is virtually identical in fresh and salt waters. The differences are small and mostly a matter of relative proportion of various processes. That is, similar bacterial processes occur in fresh and salt waters but in each environment, one process may be more important than another.

JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

+1 for HN1 and Thom... I still go with My statement of them being different bacteria forms..I will have to get a bottle of that stuff and really read the label.

since there is so many different opinions about products on the market I decided to call the mfg of Stress Zyme that states there additive will work on both fresh and salt, since I have a business of my own I know that competitors will test your product and if it does not do what it says you are looking at a court date and law suits, I have read many articles when beggining raising fish some years ago on these products that are researched by people with PHDs in this field many test and research and alot of money is poured into these products all by educated people in this field, PHD researchers. So I talked to Bryan at Aquarium Pharmaceutical he said that the bacteria is of the Genius something with a P family and there are thousands of types of bacteria and he could not disclose the entire contents but that in the bottle are dormant many strans that when they go into water they start to break down waste in both fresh and salt.

As far as me taking my FW filter and putting in my SW tank he said it wouldnt be as affective as if I put it in FW but that it may help.

In todays world if you try to cheat the public you will be caught.
Sure many people are sceptical of new things, bet there were many who did not believe a plane could fly or computers would be in every home and business.

So to think that thre are products that can kick start the bacteria process in both FW and SW all in one bottle is not to hard to believe in todays world of science.

My question is this: Can you have all 0 readings in an established tank? 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrites and 0 Nitrates? Wouldnt that mean that there where no chemical processes happening at all in the water (not cycled). IE...no breaking down of waste materials....etc..? I have 0 for ammonia and NitrItes, but 0 NitrAtes?

"As far as me taking my FW filter and putting in my SW tank he said it wouldnt be as affective as if I put it in FW but that it may help."
It may help by becoming an additional Ammonia source......

No one has mentioned it yet but products that contain live bacteria must be kept refrigerated throughout the whole shipping process. If it is not you are basically wasting your money. I have tried similar products when I first started out with no avail. Things are getting a little tense in here but I wanted to give my $0.02! :)

they said it is not live in bottle but dormant

meegosh, constructive debate is healthy,I worked in mental health field for some time, I only registered to see photos of what I was trying to find out about what was on my LR and wow debate time that is typical when someone enters a new forum, I have several other hobbies such as reloading ammunition and shooting in competition and when entering new sites same thing debate time, been reloading for over 30 years.

my question is this: Can you have all 0 readings in an established tank? 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates? Wouldnt that mean that there where no chemical processes happening at all in the water (not cycled). Ie...no breaking down of waste materials....etc..? I have 0 for ammonia and nitrites, but 0 nitrates?

thoughts????

thoughts????

I guess if it;s a heavily planted FW tank that has very low stock and has 80%+ PWC weekly. it's possible..but idk, seems more likely that a bad test kit is involved.

As far as the bacteria thing goes, it's possible that many strains of bacteria go dormant when they are exposed to an environment they can not survive in, ---> hypothetical example ---> like drying out a filter pad (shipping live rock) or packaging live sand where there is no food.

ideas ideas.

I would say if you have a fully cycled tank and tons of plants you might be able to have all zeros. Basically your plants are consuming more nitrates than the water column has. I would think some PWCs would take care of that. I'm not a big plant guy but I think I've read that somewhere.

It's extremely difficult to reach a 0 nitrate equillibrium in FW. As stated, the tank must be densely planted and very minimally stocked.

I agree that there are a lot of smart people out there studying and developing the products, but there are also very smart people marketing them. Words like MAY increase, CAN aid in, etc. are marketing 101 ploys that do not legally bind the company to any results. I volunteer at the GA aquarium and the lead biologist for the FW gallery told me that he placed everything he could get his hands on onto the microscope before the exhibits were populated and the only thing that was found with ANY biological value whatsoever was biospira that was delivered cold. I'll take his word over that of anyone trying to sell their products. Caveat Emptor. I'm a bit cynical I guess though.

HN1,

I would say you are cynical, but that is not a bad thing just cautious thing, that can also be a really good thing in certain situations, I am in the middle somewhere I have learned to research and investigate, wheather it be politics, religion, people or fish and try it if it does not work are meet my expectations, then nothing vetured nothing gained.

No doubt you are knowledgeable in this subject and may be cosidered old school in this case would be the natural way to do things some are not as patient to do that.

My patients is somewhat wore out after years of working with the most chronically mentally ill, or maybe it is just a age factor, if it is faster I am on it.

Been a pleasure.

"My question is this: Can you have all 0 readings in an established tank? 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrites and 0 Nitrates? Wouldnt that mean that there where no chemical processes happening at all in the water (not cycled). IE...no breaking down of waste materials....etc..? I have 0 for ammonia and NitrItes, but 0 NitrAtes?"
OOps I misread your Question....Yes, in my saltwater AQ. with a 4"+ sandbed, I have a 0 Nitrate reading. It is really neat to see the nitrogen bubbling out of the sand and back into the Atmosphere. A complete nitrogen cycle. Ammonia to nitrite to nitrate to nitrogen back into the air.. neat stuff...

Last edited:
Thank you google. I found this site while looking for DIY LED projects.... came up with a thread where someoen was showing pictures of their LED lit tank.

Back
Top Bottom