Fresh or saltwater for Newby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nativenuyorker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just purchased a 10 gallon tank. This size meets my needs regarding space and costs but it appears that I'm very limited as far as fish are concerned. I may need to reconsider and purchase a 20 gallon but before I do can you please recommend hardy, inexpensive, but pretty fish for a 10 gallon? Will I have more options with fresh or saltwater? Thanks.

There are a veriaty of fish that would work for a ten gallon. I would recommend doing research and see what you like. going to a website that sells fish will have description and tank size for them. Maybe even a shrimp tank?

is this your very first tank

if so I would recommend starting fresh since fish are way cheaper
than once you get some experience under your belt look into maybe a salt tank
just don't forget either way you go you need to cycle your tank first
go slow nothing good comes from rushing

First tank

Yes, this is my first tank. I have a fish bowl with a beta but that's it. I have always been attracted to fish and they do help alleviate stress. My husband had an aquarium when I first met him and he said that it's a lot of work but I think that filters are made better now and I am committed to doing research before I purchase the fish. I just ordered a 15 gallon aquarium and will return the 10 gallon. The 15 is taller and will still fit nicely in my family room. I will take your advice and start with fresh water fish. I'm doing research on filters now. Thanks for your help.

Welcome to AA! I agree with starting with a freshwater tank then moving to saltwater. Good luck! :) the people here are great!

Ok, you don't NEED to fishless cycle first, you can do a fish in cycle, at least with fresh, but with salt, you better have deep pockets to do a fish in. The pros&cons
Fishless pros - the reverse is Fishin cons:
-Easier, no frequent PWCs
-No chance of losing fish
Easier overall, no constant testing, set and forget for a couple weeks.

Fishless Cons the reverse is fish in pros:
-your have to stare at and empty tank for up to 2 months

I started a year ago with a ten gallon fresh with tetras since they've I've done alot of research about ph nitrates fish etc I'm still new and you'll learn alot since then I got a great deal on a 55 gallon fish tank with angels and now a year since my first tank I started a ten gallon sw nano reef you'll learn alot but start easy then upgrade as you learn. That be my best advice

Hey I'm new here I have a 10 gallon tank with 2 glo fish 1 molly 1 pleco and 1 cory catfish I have a few questions about my molly and cory

Hey I'm new here I have a 10 gallon tank with 2 glo fish 1 molly 1 pleco and 1 cory catfish I have a few questions about my molly and cory

Welcome to AA! You should start a thread for your tank so you can continually ask questions.

Back
Top Bottom