Fresh water aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmayo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’m setting up my 180g aquarium and I made a volcano for my bubbler and I got so excited without realizing the silicone I would use. I used the heavy duty gorilla construction adhesive it is waterproof but my concern was will it hold those rocks and is it safe for the fish? I put it out on the sun for 2 days before I put it in my aquarium. I haven’t fill out the tank yet because of my concern. Will it be safe?

I’m setting up my 180g aquarium and I made a volcano for my bubbler and I got so excited without realizing the silicone I would use. I used the heavy duty gorilla construction adhesive it is waterproof but my concern was will it hold those rocks and is it safe for the fish? I put it out on the sun for 2 days before I put it in my aquarium. I haven’t fill out the tank yet because of my concern. Will it be safe?

I would be very hesitant. I know they make aquarium-safe silicone, I assume for a reason. Probably has to do w the chemical makeup of the ‘normal’ stuff if I had to guess.

I am new, though, so hopefully someone else will chime in w a definite answer, but better safe than sorry in the meantime

If it's silicone #1 it's aquarium safe. It should say on the tube.

If it says mold resistant or antifungal you don't want to use it.

Your Tank

Hello Rm...

Everything that goes into the tank water, begins to dissolve. That's why you have to stick to aquarium pieces that say they're aquarium safe. I don't believe the manufacturer of the glue had in mind aquarium use when they developed it. I don't think I'd risk exposing fish to the chemicals that will dissolve at some point into the tank water.

B

Back
Top Bottom