Freshwater newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gaz77

Aquarium Advice Regular
It's my first tank ! Sat looking at cloudy water this is fun! no one told me about all the farthing about with cycling water I thought I would walk out of the shop with tank in one hand and a full bag of fish in the other!:blink:there is a lot more that meets the eye!why do they sell you quick start chemicals but you still have to wait days ?i must say I do find this all very interesting I now have the job of picking my first fish any help would be appreciated .i want colourful fish my son wants a fighting fish my daughter wants a sucker fish . I am not a big fan of small little fish.but I am looking forward to getting started.not sure what to expect .

Well Betta and colorful fish do not mix in same tank unless you are lucky ... You could try several female Betta at least 5 as a sorority but no male Betta with them then you can have colorful plus fighting fish ... And sucker fish can get way to big for that tank size

How big is the tank you have Gaz? Cycling a tank can take months. Before getting fish i would get a water testing kit and id recommend a liquid test rather than strings. Api freshwater master kit is a good one.

What sucker fish were you thinking of? I would cycle the tank first. I know what its like, you want fish in there yesterday but while.its.cycling you could be researching the fish you want. Once its cycled you feel an acomplishment and even better knowing your fish are safe.

Not sure only started reading about the fish this week don't know any names yet or what they look like ! Sorry totally new to it.

Not sure only started reading about the fish this week don't know any names yet or what they look like ! Sorry totally new to it.

Why not cycle your tank and in the mean time research the fish you want for compatibility with other fish ect. Go to your lfs(local fish store) with a pen and paper and write down the fish you like, then come home and research.

No I don't just reading about it know ! guy in shop sold me tank some chemicals and a set up disc and said put this quick start stuff in and you will be fine.but a friend I talked to said leave it for 3 days then put fish in but only a few .not sure how many I can put in anyway.

Without a test kit you wont know if and when its cycled.

Well it depends on what fish you want to keep and their size!

Forget afew day it just doesnt happen that quickly whatever chemicals youve been sold and added. And your friend doesnt know any better by the sounds of it.

Research research research. I suggest you Learn and understand the nitrogen cycle of a fish tank before adding anything to the tank.

You can do what you want, i cant make you do anything and can only advise for the health of your fish. You can sling aload of fish into an uncycled tank but youll cause alot of suffering and probably have loses unless your willing to do water changes daily.

Be patient, cycle your tank and be a good man God to your fish.

You said your friend has some tanks? Get some used filter media off of him. Or go to his house with a small bag, fill it with his tank water and rince his sponges into the bag, then QUICKLY come home and pore the gundge into the filter directly. This will speed up the cycle ten fold.

You can do ish in but have to do frequent water chages and testing .. That's what I'm doing but part through I bought a old filter to use fro another persons tank to jump start

Back
Top Bottom