From Canada and new to this community.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Annie44

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm retired and started into this hobby about 4 months ago. I am very eager to learn and I suspect like most people here, my aim is to have crystal clear water.
Presently my 30 gallon tank is REALLY trying my patience. For the past 2 weeks it's had a full blown algae bloom (water was pea green). I am diligent in following the instructions given by the aquarium store (Big Al's) here in Canada. They seemed to know what they where talking about.
I have a product called Algone that is introduced into the filter every 5 days. The "stuff" is like in a tea bag and you just lay it in the filter. Then they told me to feed my fish only once ever second day and cover my tank so there is no light. I'm doing all this, but it's a very slow process and right about now, I feel that many people would be turned off this hobby quickly and just give up. The tank is unsightly. At one time I could hardly see my poor fish! But I have not lost one yet! Presently the water is not quite as green, but it still has a LONG way to go.
I tell myself "patience, patience, patience". I have even thought of getting a "holding tank" to put my fish in and start all over again by draining the 30 gallon altogether.
I am VERY determined to succeed in this venture. I love the look of a clean clear fish tank.
Sorry, I've kind of gone on and on and should really be posting just an introduction to me.
This is drving me crasy.:fish1:
Thanks for letting me vent.

Thanks "Fishy Phil". I am following a lot of the advice I am getting and winning the battle! Yahoooo. But it's a very slow process. I am pretty sure how this happened. I think my heater was screwed a bit and my water was warmer than I usually keep it, plus I was feeding too much and there where times when my lights where on longer than 12 hours.
What I do find very is that there are many different opinions about keeping fish. I read a lot, and what may be stated in one article is quite different in another. Like one article sais to feed fish once per day, another sais twice and yet another said 3 small meals per day. The guys at Big Al's have me feeding every other day!
What kind of a tank do you have?

Back
Top Bottom