From Fresh to Salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigwillcast

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ok, I'm sure this may be a little redundant of a question to ask on here since I'm sure it gets asked 10 times a day.. but I don't really have the resources to look at it, since I'm on my blackberry right now. however, I'm going from fresh to salt.

I currently have a 55gallon with a wet/dry system with bio balls. The return pump does about 1100gph at the head, so I assume it's roughly 700 when it reaches the tank. This tank was used for cichlids and has been up and running for roughly 9 months. I'm bored with it, all my cichlids are full grown now and they're having babies like crazy.

I have roughly 80-100 lbs of lace rock. Can I use this rock for corals?

What kind of light would I need to grow soft corals? (links would be especially nice here)

what fish do I stay away from if I go with corals?

can I use the existing sand in the tank to continue with salt?

How do I go about cleaning the tank and all the rockwork for the saltwater fish?

what is the normal routine for maintenance? is it true if I have clean up crabs and such.. I don't have to clean the bottom?

will a 20 gallon long work for a sump? or will I need more?

I also have an auto top off system for evaporation. Right now it's a 5 gallon bucket, I expect to expand that to about 15 gallons of RO water when its time for the switch over.

oh, and recomendations on a protein skimmer? (do I need one, if so.. links?)

.. I think that's the end of my questions

Thanks,

Will

Back
Top Bottom