From LA with Love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Westmontman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all--

So I'm not much of a fish guy myself (yet?), but my amazing wife has long wanted to have some sort of pet(s) to care for. Sadly a puppy is out due to apartment restrictions and what use is a cat anyway?!, also I've had my fill of reptiles growing up with a biology teacher as a dad.

So back to fish...Sara's always loved checking them out in pet stores, and she's dropped a few not-so-subtle hints about them lately. I was all set to throw something together for valentine's day when some cursory research led me to this site and the realization that this is going to take planning and time to do right, both for Sara and for the fish!

My task now: Figure out how to deliver her a relatively low maintenance (I'll be the one doing it since the demands of medical residency are sorta high!) tank that's big enough to offer diversity and options, without breaking the bank. I'm hoping to stay under $200 total to be up and running and maintaining. Realistic?

I'm completely flexible on salt/fresh, live plants/plastic decor...etc.

I think the eco-gardener in her would LOVE the live plant option.

I'm willing to travel all over the greater LA/OC area out here in Cali. to put the right pieces in play.

Any suggestions are completely welcomed. I'm going to spend some time cruising this great site to get some perspective and craft a plan that is reasonable and responsible to the little swimmers...

Hope all is well!

Grace & Peace--
Bret

that price is realistic i thnk you should do freshwater as saltwater you will have to constantly be having to spend $ on salt

Size?

Good ? on desired size.

Basically, there's plenty of room in our place for anything.

I've read that it can be easier to manage a bigger tank re: PH etc. ? And I'm sure she'd love having more room to play with.

But (roughly) how much more cost/time go into bigger tanks? For example, any ballparks on $$/Time diff. between say a 12/25/55 gallon setup?

IME Bigger tanks are easier to take care of. But do require a little more time. But maybe she would enjoy that?

Bigger is better and easier. Since tree is more water, it's harder to mess it up. Well I bought a kit at walmart..29gal was $102 and it came with filter, heater, fish net, thermometer, hood with lights, and sample of water conditioner and food. Bought the stand for it for $70. I did look at the 55gal and it was $175 plus stand (don't remember how much) but what's inside the kit was pretty much the same.

A deal worth snatching up?

Took the Craigslist advice, found this one too.

55 gallon fish tank complete setup Pick ups only

Not sure how I'd ever transport it...borrow a friends pick-up and drive super slow? I'm sure someone's done something like this before.

My only concern is how difficult is the learning curve, and will I kill half these amazing creatures in the move/transition/etc.

Actually I have always been able to fit a 55 in the back seats of a mazda six. 55 IMO is a perfect start of size, for fresh or salt. Your allowing more options for fish and more room for error. And since 55s are so common you be surprised at the prices for things that work for a 55 since they are in a higher demand. Have you decided on what type of tank you want yet.

Edit. I read your cragislist post and See you would be going with fresh if you take those fish. You would be saving time and money buying it like that, But setting up the tank and stocking it is half of the fun :) Still a great price though.

Back
Top Bottom