Frozen Montana Cichlids!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigsky_25

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Folks.. my name is Heather and I own a 40 gallon freshwater tank. Currently I have 2 Electric blue Dempseys and a pictus cat. When I decided to have a tank yet again I knew from the start I wanted an EBJD and was fortunate to find one at my local pet store. Having set everything up and cycled the tank I bought my first. He was the only one left in the tank and rather small. I thought this would be perfect cause he could grow in his new tank. I bouth black sand substrate to brighten up his color. a month later he turned completely black and laid on the bottom of the tank. Got him a tank mate! EBJD #2... his condition only got worse... noticed possible fin rot.. treated tank with life guard for all ick, fin rot, gill disease and flukes... also put in a tank divider to keep them seperate. Its been 2 weeks after the treatment and it looks like hes coming around a bit but still no color....eating regularly but doesnt seem like he wasnt to swim....scoots around on the bottom of the tank.. I took out the divider to introduce them again and changed up the tank some to decrease the territorial aggression.. and they puffed up and locked jaws so again.. the divider is back in the tank. Not sure if the lil guy is ready for battle.. not up to par yet... Any way I've gotten really attached to him just wish he was healthly and I dont know what to do. The other one is beautiful and growing quite fast... him... not so much... So in the end I'm new to this forum and am in need of some much appreciated advice. I'm hoping to learn alot more about the cichlid community and what I can to do have a happy heathly tank!

40g is way too small for EBJD's, I am sorry to say but thats like putting two bull elk in the same pen in late fall.

Stress is a major issue with fish and they do lose color due to stress. Have you considered a larger tank or is space a factor? You might have to set up a smaller tank maybe 20g for the stressed one and possibly sell him once he is better.

Welcome Montana! Sorry I can't help you out with the Blue Dempsey, I don't know much about them, other than people say they are hard to keep. Just had to stop by and say hi when I saw the user name ;)

Blues r Babies

the blues I have in my tank now are rather small still.... the big one is about 2 inches and the smaller one is about 1 1/2 inches....I planned on moving them into a bigger tank once they grew into this tank. When I purchased the second one he was with around 12 others in a 20 gallon tank at the store and they all seemed to get along. I've had them seperated for around 2 weeks now and some of his color is coming back...should I use a stress coat enhancer from the store?

No, just letting him be will be enough for him to come back, no fast movements and dim lighting if any lighting at all. I gotta do this with the discus and angels from time to time when they get really stressed over nothing.

The tanks they came from more then likely had a dominant fish in it and their places were established. Cichlids are are aggressive fish and will defend what they consider theirs to the highest hilt with no prejudice. Ive had established angelfish pairs turn on eachother and kill eachother off after years of "peace"

I wish you luck on em.

oops, also putting one in a new tank then adding another could have caused this.

Back
Top Bottom