G'day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lukie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I am Luke, from Australia. Been into fish keeping since I was... a toddler really, watching my mums big 6 foot (loved the silver sharks).

I got my first tank at about 11.. kept fancy bettas.. tried breeding them.. overall alot of fun!

Right now I am impatiently cycling my new 30Gal aquavis 130.. atleast I think that is the name.. German Blue is the plan, amd some Ottos on cleanup duty.. some ideas on other stock would be great.. and how I can rid these bloody pond snails (assasin snails are illegal here).

Look forward to getting to know some new people here, pass on some advice and knowledge I have obtained over the years!

Feel free to shoot me a reply or message.. especially if you have some stocking suggestions!!

Pond snails are actually a pretty good clean up crew. Just don't overfeed your tank and it should keep the population down. The only way to get rid of them really is to take the tank down and CLEAN EVERYTHING.

Welcome we are glad to have you though :)

Edit: stocking you should do a nice school of cherry barbs like 8 or more. They are very pretty and fun to watch

Caleb

Maybe a YoYo Loach to go with the Otos. Make sure it has a cave or similar hideout. They love to eat snails.

Yoyo loaches would probably get too big for a 30 gallon, they're one of the larger botiid loaches- getting to around 8 inches. I would go with a school of 5 or 6 zebra loaches (botia striata) which are quite good at getting rid of snails and don't get bigger than 4 inches.

Welcome to AA!

Yoyo loaches would probably get too big for a 30 gallon, they're one of the larger botiid loaches- getting to around 8 inches. I would go with a school of 5 or 6 zebra loaches (botia striata) which are quite good at getting rid of snails and don't get bigger than 4 inches.

Welcome to AA!

Thanks for catching that, it was the Dwarf Chain Loach (Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki) I was thinking of but said the wrong thing.(y)

Yeah, pond snails are pests. I had an explosion recently, but after pulling them out for a few weeks, the population is down to an ok level, but I still see them on the glass sometimes. :ermm:

Yeah. Rather annoyed.. i do not really want loaches as even the small ones are rather large and I am a fan of light stocking..

Oh well! Maybe once I get in the Ottocinclus, theyll struggle to find food..

80cm long tank.. i am thinking 5 or 6 ottos.. ideas?

Dwarf loaches only hit 2 inches, so they're a good option for snail control :) Although they are expensive and hard to come by.

Welcome to AA!
How about a school of black neon tetras?

Hmm. Someone suggested me Spotted Blue Eyes and I have fallen in love, but they seem uncommon.. so perhaps that! I was thinking possibly Neons (match the blue with the ram.)

Thabks for the input :)

Hmm. Someone suggested me Spotted Blue Eyes and I have fallen in love, but they seem uncommon.. so perhaps that! I was thinking possibly Neons (match the blue with the ram.)

Thabks for the input :)
A late welcome to AA!
When I first found the Spotted Blue eye(P.gertrudae) I showed the owner of my LFS and he ordered them the next week(not just for me,he kept a pair in his house as well as selling them regulary now!).
I always just ask my #1 LFS?:angel:
I show them computer links... and they decide.:eek:
Good luck!(y)

Back
Top Bottom