G'day from Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aussie700P

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Not sure what country has the biggest fan base with this website - these days I'm so glad to see such diversity online, though.

Just signed up - been an avid aquarium keeper and hobbyist for many years.

I studied medical science so I have a nice idea chemical biology and biological/ chemical interactions since that time which has ultimately made my aquarium keeping far more pleasurable.

I grew up with a 100 L tank full of guppies and started my own aquarium after I left home. Ive since just bought myself a new Jebo 362 tank and begun to run the cycles ready to populate the tank. Also have a new Ehiem 2215 Classic (seriously the best purchase, ever!) Very exciting times indeed.

I have mainly Rummy Nose tetras (yes, i have thing for those little guys!) Kuhli Loaches, a few neon tetras and, my favorite, a Starlight Bristlenose Pleco. I also very much enjoy breeding and satisfying the environmental requirements of my Cherry Shrimp - which always pays off both aesthetically and practically.

I'll take some photos soon. While I don't have a macro lens I have been a photographer in my spare time for some years now. I own a Nikon D300 and 18-200mm Nikon lens and a 24mm prime, so I might be able to get some decent photos up from time to time.. especially for those who may feel trapped at work and need something to brighten their day - like me! ..Hospitals are such nasty places..

Aussie700P over and out.

***transmission end***

Hey from Indiana, US! A totally landlocked state! :)

Glad to see another medical nerd. I'm an EMT in Paramedic school. Kind of an anatomy and physiology/biology nerd.

I think rummynose tetras are absolutely awesome with their little pink faces. They're so little!

Welcome aboard!

I've always wanted to visit the Sydney Opera House, (maybe I will get a chance, eh, one of these days).

Anyway, welcome to AA! :D

First piece of advice... don't throw your Cherry Shrimp on the Bar-B!! (sorry, couldn't resist) :p

hello people,
i am also down under. my husband and i are obsessed with our 6ft fish tank. probably my husband more so than me. my intentions are to get some advice when his little fishies die...

we have over 100 fish ranging from silver sharks, guppies, angels, dwarf and pearl gourami's. we also have neon tetra's...umm having a look now...we have a few gold panchax, black widows, cat fish, molly's, sword tails, tiger barbs, clown loaches, conga's...and i know this is really sad but i can explain - we have tattooed glass fish. i bought them not realising the process these poor little fish had to go thru to become so pretty with such bright colours. when i got home i googled them and to my surprise it was pretty horrific but i wasn't going to flush them...that's just mean!

oh and another in the medical field haha i work in a medical centre as a practice nurse. been doing it for 5 years and enjoying it...

ok so with all the fish we have that i've named...can anyone see a problem? (anyone else own any of these fish? some more aggressive than others? etc etc)

looking forward to replies...

mariam (sydney)

Well looking at the fish you have now I wouldn't put angels in with tiger barbs. Tiger barbs like to chase other fish especially if they have long fins - and will nip them or stress them to death. It does ease up a bit if you have a large group (6-8) barbs, but you never know...

thanks smitty but we've always had the tiger barbs with the angels. the conga's are the newbies...do you think they're violent. i've read up about them and they're a type of tetra i think...tetra's aren't violent...it's doing my head in!!!

I don't have any personal experience with the conga tetras but just looking around the net it looked like at least one other person did have a problem with them. In that case he added them to existing fish and they did attack the other fish.

How many do you have? It looks like they need schools of 6+. It may be another case like the Tigers that they will do better if able to school.

hey smitty we got 2 conga tetra's. we had 6 angels but there are 2 left and we've lost 2 dwarf gourami's also...since adding conga's...

I can see two possible options: Get more conga tetras so you have a group of at least 6 and see if they will school together and not pick on other fish, or separate them from all the others and see if that stops.

Now, I'm not saying they are the culprits. I don't have any experience with them... but if your other fish are dying since they were added, that is where it would lead me.

Good luck!

hey smitty,
thanks for your advice. i know it sounds silly having asked the same question repeatedly but i think you are right. its obviously the newbies...

its been a few days and no dead fish soooo i think we're doing ok!

thanks again!

mariam

yeah really late...haha nah my husband and i get up at 5am every morning for work. he leaves before i do and i don't usually jump on line but i had to fix something up so yeah...anyway just got home to find a pearl gourami dead...i'll leave him for my hubby to scoop...it's too sad for me...hey are you in australia too?

don't even bother answering that...you're in FL...which i'm guessing is florida...ahhh another hard day at work! dead brain cells...

Back
Top Bottom