Getting back in the hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DesertTropic702

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all purchased a 65 gallon tank and stand. Decided to get back in the hobbie. Once I finally decide a a filtration system I will begin my aquascaping. Hope to be putting water in this tank within the next 30 days.

That's a nice size tank. Are you going fully planted ?

If you are going to run CO2 that may influence your choice of a filter as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know I want live plants but I don't know if fully planted or just accent. Here's a question for you. So the tank is 65 gallons, but after putting in all the substrate, rocks and accents there is probably going to be somewhere in the ballpark of 70-80 pounds of weight before I even add any water. So when calculating filter flow rate and capacity do I need to follow the tank size of 65 gallons or the actual amount of water which I think will be somewhere around 50 gallons. I like the fluval G3 filter but it's only rated for 70 gallons which I think would be ok since the tank will only be holding about 50. I guess I'm trying to to have to spend the extra money for a G6. My plan is to keep Discus about 4-5 with a school of smaller community fish like neon tetras. Any thoughts?

welcome to AA glad you decided to get back into the hobby ,
look forward to seeing your tank as it progresses

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

For tank filtration my own belief is better to over-filter as I've found plant debris can be significant just by itself.

The flow rates/gallon sizes filter companies give are in pristine filters. Always buy bigger than your tank.

Discus need pristine water w a lot of water changes if they are babies.

I'm running a Fluval 405 on my 55g. Rated to 100g tanks.

Most plant people plan to over filter I believe. They want good flow and want the filter to work even with some gunk in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a simple way to use any large(er) filter with a small(er) tank:

Ball_Valve.jpg

My filtration 1st rule of thumb is "at least double the spec or recommended capacity for filter selection."

Welcome back to the hobby! :welcome: I envy you having a tank that large.

I agree with the others that it's hard to go wrong with more filtration. I have an AC 50 and an AC 20 on my planted 20-long, and I haven't regretted it: the water is in great shape. Since you're looking at Fluval, you might consider the 406 canister. It's rated for 100 gallons and should do a great job on your tank. :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom