Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Getting back into aquariums! How overstocked am I?

Hey everyone, so I work at a LFS, and am lucky to have co-workers who are very passionate about fish keeping, so alongside my own research, I've learned quite a bit, and decided to get back into aquariums.

I haven't had an aquarium in 8+ years, but man when I was a kid did I do things wrong! Although someone did give me a betta and I had him in a ~2.5 gal (gift as well), so this prompted me to upgrade his living quarters, and give him some friends since he's so docile. So I've got a 10 gallon, and I picked up a 40 breeder recently, although I've decided to turn it into solely a turtle tank (male map turtle). I had RES when I was younger, and they were amazing pets. They grew so fast and I had kept upgrading and at one point had a giant rubbermaid tub in my bedroom, about the same dimensions as a 75 gal, maybe a bit deeper.

So here's a picture of my 10 gal:

I wasn't thinking when I bought everything and went with a green theme since the gravel was taken from a seeded tank... Now my question is, I know my tank is overstocked, but how overstocked is it? I wouldn't recommend to any customers who come into my store to stock a 10 gal this much, but with enough filtration and maintenance, I feel like I could get away with this.

4x neon tetras
3x cory cats
3x zebra danios
1x male beta (very, very docile)
2x otos - I had lost one, don't want to add anymore fish though
4x black skirt tetras

As far as filtration goes, I've got a Quietflow 10 stuffed with filter floss, purigen (to remove the tannic acid), and ceramic rings, as well as a hydro-sponge with a powerhead on it, and some ceramic rings stuffed inside. I've been doing weekly water changes, sometimes twice weekly. All my levels are fine, although my pH is a bit low probably due to the driftwood, so I threw in a calcium block and I'm gonna grab some crushed coral as a more permanent solution.

Here's a side view since it looks so crowded taking a picture from the front. There's some zucchini in there my Oto's were neglecting. The water is a bit murky from the driftwood, but since I took that picture purigen has removed almost all the tannins from the water!

Kairus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome to aa! I would have to say that you could get away with that stock if you removed the 4 black skirt tetras as they will become realativaley large for a tetra . Other that that I think that you will be fine.
High-Tech 55 gallon-10 gallon reef
2015 AA Fantasy Football Champion
I've Got plants! Visit: www.lincolnsaquatics.com to see whats available!
Dallascowboys16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Elephant nose Finatic!

Welcome to the forum
70 gallon elephant nose tank, Gonzo the elephant nose and inverts.
30gallon borara merah and brigittae green, red longfin bristlenose, shrimp, ninja, taiwan,bamboo, and snails.
shellyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com