Getting back into fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yankee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I joined because I am researching fancy goldfish set ups. I know they are quite dirty and water quality can be an issue right away. So filters are high on my list.

I have read some of the posts and am unfamiliar with the abbreviations-- so be kind to the new people, please. :)

I currently have a 35 gallon hexagon community tank with neons, platys, guppies, cherry barbs and a pleco. I have a wet/dry bio wheel filter that hangs on the back.
My adult daughter has set up a 29 gallon tank in her room and just added tiny rasboras. She is also using a wet/dry bio wheel filter hanging on the back of her tank. She is excited about having tanks again like we used to when she was little.
While in the basement this morning I happened to see a 20 gallon tank and am thinking about what to put in there... maybe I'll put angelfish in my hexagon and set up the 20 gallon for a community tank... hmmm....

I used to have a 55 gallon saltwater tank for about 5 years but the heater ended up cooking everything and I shut down the tank. I've raised platys and mollies in the past too. We had salt and freshwater quarantine tanks as well.

I have many books but there is nothing like a forum to get your answers and ideas. I also breed and show miniature horses and learned a lot from that forum.

I am hoping to get a 75 gallon tank for the goldfish. I may have to get a 55 gallon if I can't adjust my tank stand.

I need some advice on a couple things. I have read about canister filters and am leaning toward that. I am also looking at UV filters as an additional filter.

I would also like to see gold fish tanks and want to choose accessories that accent their color and beauty so substrate and lighting are also among my questions.

Thanks in advance for your time!
Tracy

i set my wife up a 55 for her gold fish she has about $150 in gold fish in it and she loves it. yes they are messy but i do water changes and vacume the gravel weekly. i put some large drift wood in there and bought a 4 ft double floresent light setup from walmart and made a top to attach it to and it lights it up beautifuly.

Back
Top Bottom