Getting my 55 gal set up. 2 questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tatacy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new to this. I bought a used 55 gal and have been cleaning it for the last month. Going to use a Filstar 2x, inline heater, DIY CO2, plants are ordered. Substrate to be 3 in pool filter sand over 1 in plant substrate I got a lfs. Got 108 total wattage on T5 HO light (2 bulbs). Tank is still empty- today I tested my water and fell out of my chair seeing a pH of 8.6. :facepalm: Checked my county's water quality site and yup thats what they report. My hardness is supposedly 57-100 ppm (I didn't test that).
QUESTION 1: Do I need to use a reverse osmosis filter on this? Or will dechlorination help (yes there IS chloramine) enough? Eventually I'd like to get to discus but will start out with community fish.

Planning a fish in cycle with tetra safe start. This is my plan: put water and plants in Thursday, treat with dechlorinator. Run normal, with lights, filter, thermometer. Was not planning adding NH4 (tap is 1 ppm). Let it run 3 days. Test again, then add the TSS and 5 zebra danios. Then go from there.
QUESTION 2: Am I missing something? Not adding any bacteria until same time as fish, as per TSS instructions.
THANKS!!
Terri

:welcome: to AA! ;) I don't see any need for ro/Di water. For the other questions your best to start a thread in the planted freshwater section of the site to get better responses. Good luck

Hello! Welcome aboard! I disagree because it is really beneficial to have rodi water. I for one just started my tank 2 months ago and ld say that without my ro unit I would prolly have problems..

Back
Top Bottom