Getting my feet wet in this very adictive hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boscobear

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey y'all,

It's been over 30 years since my last Aquariums , and I remember it like it was yesterday. I recently bought a 16 gal.biorb to begin my addiction. This way I have something to handle while I read about all the new equipment, and technology changes. Wow, has there been advancement in technology, and available information. I am earnestly looking forward to my next aquatic venture. From just reading information all over the internet, I have changed my choices on tanks, filters, in house location, and desired fish species. It has been quite a ride so far. I really hope I make my final decision, the very final with no regrets.

Hi and welcome to AA:) The equipment may have changed and loads of fishes names have changed but its still basically all the same rules. There is loads more info and help out there which is great news,just try and not baffle yourself like i do with all this info:banghead:

How about the UGF, when I left the hobby because of marriage family, career, did I blame everyone, lol the under gravel filter was all the rage. New power heads for the tank side pipes, and a new technology the biological filtration system, right there in our tanks.
Today the dreams are still in my mind, remove everything from the house, and fill it with water. Well, how about a large aquarium, 150 or 180 gallons. I always wanted this to happen.
What I do want is a fresh water aquarium, that's for sure. With all the neat plants. I don't think I could handle the life rocks, and the reef keeping. I have been looking at every aquarium I can find on different web sites, and there are some amazing waterscapes out there. The hobby has turned into Art. People are designing pieces of Art. The show tanks in homes are little worlds on their own planet.
I don't mind getting baffled right now, and I try to read everyones ideas, this is going to be very exciting.
" I remember everything I don't forget"

Thank you

Great advice, I thank you. I'll check them immediately, and keep my eyes on the site. Should I look only in my local area, or all over the country? If the tank leaks, it can be repaired. No cracks of course.

I did freshwater for years and just recently started my saltwater. Not as much work and you may think! A little higher initial startup cost, but a whole nother world of fish and coral....etc.

Scary when you don't know

I just found a 180 gallon tank for sale. The seller is talking to their wife about my suggested price. All thanks to a member on this site advising me to check web sites" for sale". Tank looks beautiful too, and has a great stand and canopy. Hope it's not too good to be true. I'm going to ride 60 miles to look at it a little later today, if they agree to my offer.

SALTWATER I am familiar with freshwater, and feel good with it. How is salt not more involved?

Hey gang, Aquarium includes everything, stand, top, sump filters, and some fish. 5 Discus, and 9 Angels and 2 catfish. I did want smaller shoaling fish. This must be soft water too, for the discus. OMG I'm thinking about the fish. Is it hard to move this system? I do not want tto kill these fish.

There are a few discus people on here who could advise you. Post a new thread in the general freshwater area and more will see it. Good luck! I'm envious!

Hi yes i remember the U/G very well:) brilliant filter cheap simple and foolproof well almost:lol: Nowadays tanks are alot better for the more modern types of filters,and easier to keep clean!
As for moving a tank,the same rules apply regardless of size or fresh,saltwater or coldwater!
Number 1 keep as much water as possible!
Keep the filters moist - this keeps the bacteria alive.
Always completely empty the tank before moving! Including gravel!
Move the fish in bags like when you buy them! Double bag'em,tape the corners and don't put too many fish in any one bag.
Don't feed on the day of moving and feed sparingly after for a few days and plenty of small water changes.
So you will need plenty of containers for the water,loads of fish bags and buckets for putting the gravel etc in. Also the golden rule is don't rush take your time and all will be well(y)

Back
Top Bottom