Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Getting Ready to Start new 55 gl FOWLR

I am getting ready to start my first SW tank after many years of freshwater experience!

I have a 55gl 4ft tank with a Cascade 1000 Canister filter that I plan to use to get started. This is what I've purchased so far:

2 600 gph Hydor Koralia Evolution Circulation Pump/Powerhead
48"Aquatic Life LED Aquarium Light Fixture
4 20lb bags of CaribSea Arag-Alive Bahamas Oolite Aquarium Sand
5 gl bucket of Instant Ocean Aquarium Salt
API Saltwater Master Kit Testing Kit
and I'm going to buy 50 lbs of Live rock tomorrow so I can start my tank this weekend.

I know I probably want to get a Protein Skimmer but it is not in the budget to get started and I think I will be ok at the beginning so I plan to add it a few months down the road.

I have questions that will come soon enough since I am very much the Newbie!

FOWLR Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
Getting things together.

So my freshwater tank has been cleaned thoroughly and is ready to get started!

My plans are to buy my live rock tomorrow and then start filling my tank with water the next day So here are my beginning questions.
1. How long can I leave the live rock out of water?
2. Can I put my live sand in and then the live rock and start filling with freshwater and add a bucket of concentrated salt water and then finish filling with freshwater and mix the water around by hand as it is filling or will that hurt the sand and rock?
3. My power heads won't be here for about 5 days after I start the tank will it be okay to run the tank on just the cascade canister until the power heads get here?
I'm on well water that is super clean so I plan on using my hose to fill the tank without conditioning the water. I never had problems doing this with my freshwater tanks. Thoughts?
FOWLR Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote

fowlr, star, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com