Getting started and learning lessons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes that's the ones she bought.

I really appreciate your help. I'm trying my best to search the forum. A Lot of info, beautiful aquariums.

xigtc said:
Yes that's the ones she bought.

I really appreciate your help. I'm trying my best to search the forum. A Lot of info, beautiful aquariums.

Ok :) They are genetically modified white skirt tetras. The same as black skirt tetras but white. You can keep any of the three together and they will school. They need at least 6 of their own kind to feel comfortable. They are known for being nippy with each other and other fish especially if their school is too small. I would advise 6-8 in your tank without tank mates. Ideally they need a 20-30g tank minimum. They can get rather large for a tetra. I have 8 in my planted 70g tank and they do well with the plants. After a trim they don't go near the surface as much because they don't feel confident with the open space. They normally hang around the middle of the tank and are piggies when it comes to food. Be careful not to over feed them. I have seen them swim off with whole shrimp pellets and eat them whole. Lol.

xigtc said:
T5 120v 8w halogen bulb. Came with the tank.

Does it have a 'K' rating or anything like 'daylight' written on it? To grow plants you need a Kelvin rating of 5000-10000k 6500K being ideal. You should be able to grow low light plants quite easily with a light like that.
Java fern
Anubias
Moss
Elodea
Hornwort
Duck weed
Hygro
Crypts
Tiger lotus
Just to name a few.

No k rating on the bulb. What I wrote is all that's on the bulb, minus made in China. Plus during the day the tank gets sunlight through the window. It's not direct but it lights the room up pretty well during the day.

I'll do a little research on the plants. They don't have a lot at the LFS. The store tends to do more salt water business than fresh.

xigtc said:
No k rating on the bulb. What I wrote is all that's on the bulb, minus made in China.

Mmmm, you could start out with a couple of plants and see how they go with the light or you could buy a new bulb that you know will grow them. If you want any more light hungry plants you will need to upgrade the lighting to something stronger and probably 2 bulbs. With more light comes more demand for fertilizers and co2 though.

xigtc said:
No k rating on the bulb. What I wrote is all that's on the bulb, minus made in China. Plus during the day the tank gets sunlight through the window. It's not direct but it lights the room up pretty well during the day.

I'll do a little research on the plants. They don't have a lot at the LFS. The store tends to do more salt water business than fresh.

Try looking online for plants. I get mine from people on eBay Australia but there are heaps of sites in the US (I'm assuming your there lol).

Awesome, main thing is I want then to feel secure and maintain a stable environment. Didn't know if real or fake would be best and exactly what all is needed. In reading I've seen people just raise the plants and others use them to help maintain tanks. Yes I'm in the US.

I appreciate the info. Lol I'll probably be back tomorrow. Plan on moving the tetras to the new tank if everything checks good.

Thanks!!!!

Didn't know if real or fake would be best and exactly what all is needed.

In my experience thus far, fake plants in smaller tanks are more trouble than their worth if kept for too long. They work great as a temperary solution to offer comfort to the fish while your real plants are being added. But, remove them as you can because they require lots of cleaning, especially if you get the type with the "needle-like" leaves. I hate those! They collect anything and everything that may be passing by on it's way to the filter intake. They require a lot of cleaning. The types with the flat leaves are much better, and silk are even better than the plastic giving a more realistic look and softer to avoid injury to your fish.

As Mumma said, your Skirt Tetras will become very nippy unless they are in a larger shoal. 6 is bare minimum and 8 is great. I have kept these guys and love them. Cute little fish.

BTW, I am so glad you were able to find a home tonight for your fish!!!! That is terrific news!

Yep they'll be getting a nice 120 gal home. Started a fish in cycle this morning all is well for now. Going to deliver the fish to there new owner and look at plants tonight and possible pick some sort of structure.

Should I wait to add more of the Tetras or should I include them in the cycle. I know adding more will mean I'd have to watch the levels more closely. I think we plan to have 6-8 of them and when needed get a tank cleaner.

Yep they'll be getting a nice 120 gal home. Started a fish in cycle this morning all is well for now. Going to deliver the fish to there new owner and look at plants tonight and possible pick some sort of structure.

Should I wait to add more of the Tetras or should I include them in the cycle. I know adding more will mean I'd have to watch the levels more closely. I think we plan to have 6-8 of them and when needed get a tank cleaner.

Ahhh that'll be nice for them :) I would definetely do what Mumma suggested and wait before adding anymore fish. I know it can be tough because getting the fish is the best part, but if you don't hold out, you could end up with a disaster. It has happened time and time again. There are a few people on here right now who are doing everything they can to clean up the mess created by getting too many fish too fast. It'll really pay off if you just wait :)

What type of style do you like in tanks? Natural or a theme such as Atlantis? You had asked about decor in an earlier post. If you want to go natural there are many types of cool rocks to choose from at the pet stores (in the fish section). There are ones with holes in them which can be fun when the fish swim through the holes. My Roselines chase eachother through the giant whole in the red lava rock. If you want to go with a theme, I would sugest first you choose which theme and then pick your stuff before you buy it to make sure you will have everything you want for it. My huisband wanted to do Atlantis and he ended up with a mis-matched tank because he was quick to buy decor without matching it first, thinking it would all work together.

Me too. I bet you'll love the stones sold in the shops that look like they were taken from the grand canyon. Gorgeous! They have red, white and tan swirls in them with holes. I wish I could recall what they are called.

As Lovin Fish said, best to wait until the cycle is fully complete before adding any more. The less fish, the slower the ammonia rises which means less water changes for you and better for the fish.

If you have a creek or lake around you, you can collect rocks and wood to use in your tank. The wood will need to be boiled or put through the dishwasher to kill any bugs and the rocks soaked in water with the pH being checked to see if they alter it.

Awesome info. Well here's what I've for until we go to the store. They stay in about the middle of the tank and wait for food to drop before eating.

So use to the Oscar sitting and waiting to grab the first pellet.

Attachments

• image-2945463413.jpg
    image-2945463413.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 80
Awesome info. Well here's what I've for until we go to the store. They stay in about the middle of the tank and wait for food to drop before eating.

So use to the Oscar sitting and waiting to grab the first pellet.
You're on your way! :) Can't wait to see what you do with your stones and plants! :D

Here's where I am now. Probably stay like this for awhile. Got a Java Fern per LFS recommendation . Some slate and salt & pepper granite.

Attachments

• image-2870039915.jpg
    image-2870039915.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 48
Nice!!! Thanks for sharing an updated pic :) Definetely take Mummas advise! She has incredible planted tanks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom