Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Activist

All is going great but one thing my Java fern keeps moving so I've going to tie it down to a smaller rock. Could I use some fishing line or should I use something else?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3672909871.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	81708  

Old 03-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Yes, fishing line, cotton thread, rubber band or even super glue works.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
Yes, fishing line, cotton thread, rubber band or even super glue works.
I just used cotton thread recently because I like that it disolves, but the kind I used started to disinegrate too quickly. (I do have a lot of current in my tank though.) All my plants were floating after only 5 days I re-tied them all with fishing line. Much better IMO. Can't see it and it will hold forever! So if you use thread, get a thick strong cotton thread for sure

ps
Also though, my pleco helped the thread release the plants bulldosing through the archway.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Activist

Awesome I'll use some fishing line. I appreciate all of the info that's been shared!!
Thank you!
Old 03-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin Fish

I just used cotton thread recently because I like that it disolves, but the kind I used started to disinegrate too quickly. (I do have a lot of current in my tank though.) All my plants were floating after only 5 days I re-tied them all with fishing line. Much better IMO. Can't see it and it will hold forever! So if you use thread, get a thick strong cotton thread for sure

ps
Also though, my pleco helped the thread release the plants bulldosing through the archway.
Really? Must have been thin lol. I have cotton thread in some tanks going on 6-8 months still holding strong. I'm actually wanting it to degrade lol.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
Really? Must have been thin lol. I have cotton thread in some tanks going on 6-8 months still holding strong. I'm actually wanting it to degrade lol.
Yeah...that's what I summed it up as...super thin. Doesn't look thin LOL! Maybe in the night the Pleco was munching on it breaking it down??? Maybe. Just a thought. He does he everything he can get his sucker on LOL!
Old 03-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xigtc View Post
Awesome I'll use some fishing line. I appreciate all of the info that's been shared!!
Thank you!
Sure thang!!!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I was just getting in bed, said goodnight to the fish and didn't see the Bristle nose. Looked around found it on its back behind the fern.

Checked the water levels and all checked out within reason. So I'm bummed. It was a pretty active fish loved sitting on the rock.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:44 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

That sucks. I'm sorry
Old 03-12-2012, 01:18 AM   #60
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Im here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by xigtc View Post
Hi all, I had the chance to get into fish about a month ago. Bought a 5 gal tank, gravel, and all the supplies recommended. I bought just based off looks and little research 5 fish. 1 Tiger Oscar, 2 Lab Cichlids, 1 Red Zebra Cichlid, & 1 Algae eater. Everything was going great up until last week.

Ammonia levels sky rocketed. So I did everything is read up on to get things back to normal. I lost the 3 Cichlids due to the strain from the high lvls.

I believe I've learned why it became so bad. To many fish, and I didn't keep track of the filter replacement.

Since this lesson learned, I've been keeping a eye on the Ammonia, Nitrate, & pH levels. I know my tank is to small for the Oscar and I'm looking for a new home for it or to get a larger 10 gal tank.

Any words of advice? I've read up on cycling the tank and have now gone to the local Fishy Business store to talk with the employees to get some pointers.

Thanks,
Thomas
First off, you did not cycle the tank first, you could expidite cycling by adding stress zyme to a new tank, its not really for stress, its bacteria that helps establish a healthy aqurium with the healthy bacteria a new tank needs to be safe for fish keeping. We all must remember, a fish tank of any size is not a lake of water, in a tank, it is comes complete with its challenges. Water needs to be replaced 1/3 every week, i do mine every weekend. Oscars get large and your going to require a 29 gallon for those guys, they get huge, like up to 12 complete inches at maturity.
You must keep the ph at 7.0. a water temp of no lower then 78. to keep ammonia at bay I use aqurium salt, one tablespoon for every ten gallons of water, this keeps your fishes gills lubricated when subjected to high levels of ammonia. I fed my oscars frozen krill, blood worms not freeze dried anything, takes all the nutients away. Buy a gravel vac, and do not ever strip clean a filtration device where you have grown healthy bacteria or you will have to wait all over again for it to regrow and this is not a good thing.

Tags
started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hi All | Corals »