Getting started and learning lessons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xigtc

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, I had the chance to get into fish about a month ago. Bought a 5 gal tank, gravel, and all the supplies recommended. I bought just based off looks and little research 5 fish. 1 Tiger Oscar, 2 Lab Cichlids, 1 Red Zebra Cichlid, & 1 Algae eater. Everything was going great up until last week.

Ammonia levels sky rocketed. So I did everything is read up on to get things back to normal. I lost the 3 Cichlids due to the strain from the high lvls.

I believe I've learned why it became so bad. To many fish, and I didn't keep track of the filter replacement.

Since this lesson learned, I've been keeping a eye on the Ammonia, Nitrate, & pH levels. I know my tank is to small for the Oscar and I'm looking for a new home for it or to get a larger 10 gal tank.

Any words of advice? I've read up on cycling the tank and have now gone to the local Fishy Business store to talk with the employees to get some pointers.

Thanks,
Thomas

Welsome to AA. Sorry that you lost some fish. You should return your Oscar to the stoe you got him from. I am sure they would take him back giving you a refund or at least credit for something else. Tell them what happened to you. They would like to help you most likely because they like your business.

Far as a 5 gallon tank...really your going to have trouble finding much that will thrive in a tank that size far as fish go. Have you concidered getting a larger tank; I know you said a 10 gallon, but what about even larger? The bigger it is the easier it will be to keep it healthy which is always a plus. Often it is recommended that new fish keepers start off with a 30 gallon minimum. But of course, many do fine with a smaller tank.

So, what are you thinking about doing next? You could always post on Craigslist "Wanting 30 gallon aquarium" or which ever size you are looking for. You might end up lucky and get a complete setup for a deal!

Last edited:
I bought the fish from Walmart. Lol went grocery shopping and decided to get a setup. I've already asked them and they said no and I went to the local fish store and they don't have any room for an extra Oscar.

Honestly I thought about getting a 30 gal tank. But I'll be moving in 1-2 months so I don't want to upsize until I'm settled in. I'd honestly like to stick with smaller schooling fish.

So we thought about possibly finding the Oscar a home and getting a 10 gal tank.

Attachments

• image-3020945880.jpg
    image-3020945880.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 90
Oh my gosh lucky!!! Moving in 1-2 months? If you can wait, you have an algae eater left right?)researching fish (when you're not packing ;)). Learn all you can so that when you move, you will be ready and quite knowledgable about different species and compatability. It will also give you time to "collect" the equipment you will need, leaving more opportunity for finding good deals.

What species of algae eater do you have?

Far as Wallmart goes; what a bummer! I can't believe they won't let you return him! :banghead: How big is your Oscar? I hope you find a home for him/her soon.

The Oscar is 4 in. It's doubled in size in the past month.The algae eater is a Pleco sucker mouth, it hasn't grown much. But does a pretty good job at cleaning things up after the Oscar eats.

I think the next tank I'd rather have a sand bottom. Seems like it be easier to clean and waste wouldn't get hung up as easily on the floor.

I'll keep cruising the forum for ideas.

Also upgraded my filter after the initial fall out to a Penguin 100 system. It's a lot quieter and really keeps the water flowing.

The Oscar is 4 in. It's doubled in size in the past month.The algae eater is a Pleco sucker mouth, it hasn't grown much. But does a pretty good job at cleaning things up after the Oscar eats.

I think the next tank I'd rather have a sand bottom. Seems like it be easier to clean and waste wouldn't get hung up as easily on the floor.

I'll keep cruising the forum for ideas.

Oh wow your Oscar is a growing machine! I sure hope today someone will contact you about taking him! Gosh what a bummer. So, your pleco is a common plecostomus? Those guys get massive! And they are poop machines. I had a 2 year old that was 7". He unfortunately jumped the tank and died. You might want to concider re-homing him too, or just wait until he is close to outgrowing the tank. There are tons of pleco types and quite a few that stays smaller around 4". A common favorite is the bristlenose pleco. The bristles freak me out, but other people seem to really enjoy them.

I have sand in one of my tanks. I think it's beautiful, but I prefer the gravel. It is all a personal preference when it comes to substrate. I keep the sand in the tank because I have corydoras catfish and kuhli loaches which appreciate sand. But I tell ya! If I didn't have them the sand would go!

You're full of a lot of helpful info. Wish I have gotten on here and done more research before I bought fish. Do to my lack of research I bought two fish that will out grow the living space. And I do not have interest in buying a bigger tank to accommodate these species.

I completely uinderstand! See, when I first started we got a fully stocked tank from someone off of craigslist. He didn't want it anymore because his fish were dying. So, we ended up with "his" problem because they kept dying once we got them. I started doing research and since have learned soooo much about many different species of fish. The fish were dying because they were not compatable being that they required different water parameters and some simply needed buddies of the same species to thrive. We no longer have any of those fish that came with the tank. Some died and we brought the rest to the LFS and he just gave us credit for them because he said he'd be making money off of them through sailes. We were lucky there!

Anyway, check your personal message inbox. There's something there for you :)

xigtc said:
Hi all, I had the chance to get into fish about a month ago. Bought a 5 gal tank, gravel, and all the supplies recommended. I bought just based off looks and little research 5 fish. 1 Tiger Oscar, 2 Lab Cichlids, 1 Red Zebra Cichlid, & 1 Algae eater. Everything was going great up until last week.

Ammonia levels sky rocketed. So I did everything is read up on to get things back to normal. I lost the 3 Cichlids due to the strain from the high lvls.

I believe I've learned why it became so bad. To many fish, and I didn't keep track of the filter replacement.

Since this lesson learned, I've been keeping a eye on the Ammonia, Nitrate, & pH levels. I know my tank is to small for the Oscar and I'm looking for a new home for it or to get a larger 10 gal tank.

Any words of advice? I've read up on cycling the tank and have now gone to the local Fishy Business store to talk with the employees to get some pointers.

Thanks,
Thomas

Welcome to AA!
I just skimmed the other posts.
I have some bad news for you. None of your fish should be in a 5g tank even for a short amount of time.
Oscars can ready 15" long, grow an inch a month and need a 75g tank MINIMUM.
The labs and zebra are not compatible with the Oscar and need a 55g tank.
The pleco can reach almost 2 foot long and needs a 125g tank minimum.

Please rehome all those fish or upgrade their tanks ASAP!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html

Yea I'm workin on the relocating.

I'm going to stick with the gravel and once I'm moved will get another tank probably a 15 gal.

Probably will stick with Tetras and similar sized fish in the future.

Thanks!!!!

I'm going to stick with the gravel and once I'm moved will get another tank probably a 15 gal.

Thanks!!!!

Here are some fun smaller fish for you to look up ;)
Harlequin Rasbora
Glowlight Tetra
Rummynose Tetra
White Skirt and Black skirt Tetras (same species different color)
Serpae Tetra (high fin is my favorite)
Pygmy Corydoras (need sand though)
Dwarf Corydoras (need sand though)
Rasbora sarawakensis
Red Tailed Rasbora
Bloodfin Tetra
Dwarf Pencilfish
and then there is these popular little guys that are seen in many planted tanks:
Cardinal Tetra
Neon Tetra

There are so many!

xigtc said:

Thanks!!!!

That's great. :) They are great fish just not right for your tank.

Good suggestions above. We can help you choose some fish once you rehome the others.

Found a home for both fish tonight. Came home and the wife put 2 electric green Tetras in the tank and bought a 15 gal upright tank and was already setting it up.

So I guess once its all cycled and we (she) figures the aqua scape we will get some more.

Lol fish are amazing to watch and teach you a good amount of responsibility.

Growing up it was cats, dogs, & cattle. Only had 1 goldfish when I was 6 yrs old.

Again thank y'all for the help. Any advice for tank setup for the fish? I.e. buildings, plants?

Attachments

• image-379755249.jpg
    image-379755249.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 75
Yes I have the API kit. Yep i was reading that article right before you posted it.

Ok being we have these 2 Tetras what others would you suggest. The guy at the LFS said I could have up to 12 of these in the new tank.
I'll have to play with the calculator that was shared with me.

If we decide to stick with this species what would be an ideal habitat? I read up that the Black Tetras like tall plants. What's your take on real or fake plants? The guy in the store danced around the topic and didn't answer all of my questions.
Probably tired of seeing me......

xigtc said:
Ok being we have these 2 Tetras what others would you suggest. The guy at the LFS said I could have up to 12 of these in the new tank.
I'll have to play with the calculator that was shared with me.

If we decide to stick with this species what would be an ideal habitat? I read up that the Black Tetras like tall plants. What's your take on real or fake plants? The guy in the store danced around the topic and didn't answer all of my questions.

image-2594827175.jpg

Just to make sure. Is this the tetra you have?

xigtc said:

I prefer real plants. What plants you can keep depends on your lighting. What kind of light and bulb do you have?

Back
Top Bottom