Glofish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn8968

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone ! I am new to the aquarium life and I have A LOT of questions ! But first, I have two glofish, a male & a female. For the past three days the male has been constantly chasing and nipping the female. She even hides from him hahaha. But I was wondering if she is ready to lay her eggs because she keeps swimming at the bottom of the tank inspecting the gravel
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406304537.603401.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi Shawn. Welcome. The forums here are a great source of info--just try doing a search on a topic and you will get lots of hits.

How long has your tank been set up?

For about 5 days

I've been researching it and trying to understand. One employee at pet smart told me to set up the aquarium and let it run for 24 hours

I've been researching it and trying to understand. One employee at pet smart told me to set up the aquarium and let it run for 24 hours

Unfortunately, that is not correct. You need to build up your beneficial bacteria in your filter media that breaks down ammonia and nitrites. Both are toxic to your fish, and may be why your one fish is hanging out at the bottom of the tank. Monitoring it with a test kit and doing frequent partial water changes until the tank is cycled will protect your fish. It will take a month or two to completely cycle.

Ok.. I had no idea. I assumed that the people at the pet store would give me useful, correct information.

Ok.. I had no idea. I assumed that the people at the pet store would give me useful, correct information.

I had no idea with my first fish, either. :) Feel free to ask questions.

Thank you ! What are signs of unhealthy glofish ?

How big is your tank? I'm guessing you have the danio variety of glo fish. Either way, tetras and danios both prefer to live in schools, a minimum of three. Five is a better number. If kept as a pair they will pester each other relentlessly and that male might just cause your female to die of stress. Hiding at the bottom sounds like she is stressed. It's funny to us to watch but I'm sure she is about ready to bash him in the head with a frying pan (picture the flinstones) depending on your tank size you might consider getting one more.

Danios are pretty hardy, so that's pretty helpful as you cycle your tank.

I hope this helps. Welcome to the hobby. We all make mistakes as we learn. I'm just five months in to the hobby and I feel like I've learned so much.

Sent from my iPhone

Wow the employees at petsmart fail to give this type of information! Idk if they lack knowledge or just don't care. BUT thank you for the advice. And I have a 5.5 gallon cube tank

You could probably put one more danio, doesn't have to be a glo fish. I have one glofish danio and she schools with my 13 other assorted danios. (Don't tell the cops... Haha) apparently they're illegal I'm my state. I didn't know I was buying a glo fish until I got home and researched.

So, this is what I would do, smaller tanks are harder to maintain because there is less water to dilute the amonia, nitrites and nitrates so I would plan to upgrade in the near future to a ten gallon. They run like $30 for a starter kit and your fish will be happier and the tank will be a little easier to maintain. In a ten gallon you could have the three danios, some ghost shrimp, and a couple of nerite snails. Even better! A 20 gal, petsmart and petco have the $1 gal sale twice a year. I know it's a lot to take in but a 5.5 is really not a happy place for danios. They like to swim and swim fast!! They'll live and probably do fine, but if you have the room, please consider an upgrade. You could still use the 5.5 cube for a qt spot.

The pet stores were not much help to me either. Most of what I learned I learned from these lovely people.

Sent from my iPhone

stores like pet smart and pet co and walmart , most of the hire people that don't know anything about fish there are exceptions , but don't trust the info they give you without checking
they list Oscars as community fish, maybe if you have a 1000 gal tank with other huge fish in it

Any advice on cleaning the tank ?

I would like to know some things I should and SHOULD not do
Thanks !

Back
Top Bottom