Goldfish swimming erratically

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newlyobsessed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just did an 80% water change due to high ammonia and now my goldfish is acting really stressed out. He's swimming erratically and I've noticed him air gulping a few times. I do have him in too small of a tank but it's all I have for now. 7.5 gallon. I used API ammolock to treat my tap water. Directions say 5mls for each 10 gallons so by my calculations that .5mls per gallon. Should I put more in to help him distress? What should I do? And how long do I wait to retest the water?

Does your water have chloramines in it too? Look to see if additional ammolock is needed for that.

How high was the ammonia?

Same temp water?

I would do another pwc with treated same temp water.

It is probably a shock from the old water and the new water.

These are best done in a series of pwc back to back as to allow the fish some time to adjust to the completely different water, like acclimating them when you get home from the fish store to gradually become used to the new water.

You can check the water in 24 hours. With Prime for example it detoxifies but still shows up in the test which is because it is ammonium and still shows up in the test until the filter breaks it down further.

What are you feeding them? Flakes and some quality high protein foods breakdown quickly and turn to ammonia fast.

Reduce the amount you are feeding each time and remove uneaten food.

Have you tested the water from your tap to see if it has amonia too? Very common thing to have happen.

If you can increase the water oxygenation this could help the fish if its gills are damaged.

That would be to reduce the water level an inch say, if you have a hob filter and the water falling in will help increase O2. Also add or turn up the air pump or get one to help the fish.

Back
Top Bottom