Good Morning from New Hampshire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jldurfe

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good Morning! I am pretty new to having an aquarium. I have had a 2.5 gal for almost a year. I have a few guppys in there. Now I have a 10 gal tank that I have one male beta, 2 zebra danios, and some guppys. I have 2 males, one cobra tale and one tequila sunrise, there are also 5 assorted females. I am planning to go out today and get a few more males and a couple more females. I have 3 babies in a breeders net. I was able to save a few of the.

In my 2.5 gal tank I have 2 mollies. A black one and a white one. I am afraid they will grow out of the small tank. they are pretty big already, the person at the fish store said they were already pretty much full grown. I hope he is right :ermm:

Anywho, this is pretty much what I am looking at right now. I know I shouldnt get many more fish for my 10 gallon tank because I dont want to overcrowd the tank, and where guppys are live breeders I could end up with a pile of them, but most of them get eaten if I cant get to them first!! I am happy to hear any suggestions or advise! As I said above, I am pretty new to having a larger fish tank!

Hi and welcome!

I wouldn't get any more fish actually. A 2.5 gal is too small for guppies and definitely too small for mollies. The 10 gal is already pretty heavily stocked as well. Also the danios would prefer a larger school and they are active so really need more swim room.

If you can upgrade to a 29 gal, that'll let you put the mollys and most of the guppies in there and you can fill out the danio school. For the 10, keep the betta in there with maybe two guppies max.

Are the smaller tanks filtered and heated?

This link might help some too: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Welcome to the forum! Librarygirl knows what she's talking about. :) Overstocking almost always leads to problems. Good luck!

yes both of my tanks are heated and filtered. 10 gal is pretty much all i have room for unless I get a whole tank and stand set up. The mollies seem happy now, how will I know if the need a bigger tank? so far they eat every time i put food in, and they are swimming around and playing together. overall they seem the happiest of all the fish I have. I know Danios prefer a larger group. I had three which is what the fish store recommended. but one jumped overboard... and I just haven't got another one yet. again they seem happy, they hang out with the guppies and zip around all day.

Back
Top Bottom