Greetings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rayven

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
Just signed up because I am allowing my daughter to have her very first fish. I used to work for Petsmart in the specialty department almost 10 years agto which was a good and bad experience but I did like the fish, at least. And that crazy rubber eel we had for a while.

Anyway, we're having a small problem with the male betta she picked out, so I thought I'd scour for an answer here. He's in a 3 gallon Marineland with the biowheel right now and has a cloudy eye with a little wisp of something. I've been reading about this 'pop-eye' and some other threads so hopefully I'll come up with a solution.

My daughter refused to have one fish, insisting that it would be lonely, so we have a female betta as well. We tried the divider option but it didn't end up fitting right so she's in a larger plastic terrarium until I can get a second Marineland up and running. She seems healthy and happy so far.

And so it begins.

Rayven

Hi Rayven

Welcome to AA! I'm sure that you'll get all the help you need here. if I might make a suggestion, you might want to post this question in the Freshwater Getting Started Forum where it is more likely to be seen. If you can, also post your water parameters (Ammonia, NitrITE, NitrATE test results).

Thanks for the advice.

I'm at work now, but I plan to bring a water sample to the pet store tomorrow while my daughter is at school (it's her very first full week of her very first year!) and buy my own test kit while I'm there. Once I do that, hopefully I'll have enough useful information for someone to help me out.

Rayven

The API Master Test Kit is the one most folks recommend. It has all the tests you need. Don't buy the test strips as they are inaccurate and the last thing you need is bogus test results.

Thanks again. I'm going to write that down and bring it to the store with me. I was reading on another site and I think it's not pop eye, but maybe this 'columnaris'. Still reading though! I just hope I've caught whatever it is in time. My daughter has done such a good job so far with her fish and I'm very proud of her being so responsible. It makes me wonder if this poor little guy had this in the pet store.

Rayven

Water changes, ater changes and more water changes. It's amazing how well fish heal themselves when give clean water to live in. Try changing about a gallon a day for a couple of weeks.

welcometoaa.gif

Back
Top Bottom